Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .284 Velocities

.284 Velocities

I'm interested in the .284 Winchester.

Seeing a lot of variation in the posted MVs online. I'd really like to hear what people on here are getting out of their rifles?

-Show me your Muzzle Velocities please chaps. (Length of barrel and pill weight too please).

Cheers

LJP
    Mates 32" trueflite 1-8" SG - 180gr VLD's @ 2,920 fps & 162gr Amax @ 3,050 fps with no pressure & ridiculous accuracy.

My 32" 284 Shehane is arriving soon so hopefully can improve on those figures a little

Some good info here for hunting type rifle.

.284 Win Tactical Hunter
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

2950 with 150gr Nosler BT's out of a 20.5" barrel. Using Adi2209

Kj

.284 shehane 32''bull barrel 1/9'' twist lapua necked up 6.5 x284 to 7mill 54gr R17 180grvld Berger 2950fps case head expands quick 5 firings theyre loose

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    .284 shehane 32''bull barrel 1/9'' twist lapua necked up 6.5 x284 to 7mill 54gr R17 180grvld Berger 2950fps case head expands quick 5 firings theyre loose
    The 284 shehane isn't a standard design giving about 3 grains more and most are not going to be using a 32' barrel hunting, also you want get the same velocity with a Rem action compared to a custom.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

7-08 Rem, Gunnig & Elmiger 33.5" barrel Lapua brass 180 Hybrid R17 2850fps cases on 10+ firings.....I might rechamber to 280ai yet

PS this is a special long throated 7-08, your milage may vary, please don't try this with a Rem 700....

Yes to right Greg dont go over pressuring your average action ! Mine is a single shot Barnard which are made with a little more beef

LJP
    how does 2213SC compare with accuracy & velocity with your RL17 load?

Good to see a thread like this as I am looking at rechambering the 7mm-08 to 284 will just be shooting the 120-130gr bullets so mag length won't be too much of an issue, plus the marlin does not need any work on the action guys in the states have been converting the short action X7 marlins with no issues apart from being limited in using the longer and heavier high BC bullets.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    how does 2213SC compare with accuracy & velocity with your RL17 load?
    Accuracy wise I haven't noticed a difference -both shoot better than me -speed r17 all day long by a long way!!! But the negative of that is the Powder burn is a lot harder on the throat and dont expect more than 7-800 before pushing your projectile out a bit .
    If you hunting with this powder your not going to shoot as much as me as I dont hunt but shoot steel alot .People have comment in the past that rl17 is very temp sensitive but I have heard that to be untrue also LOL try it yourself and dont over load kiddies!!!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Good to see a thread like this as I am looking at rechambering the 7mm-08 to 284 will just be shooting the 120-130gr bullets so mag length won't be too much of an issue, plus the marlin does not need any work on the action guys in the states have been converting the short action X7 marlins with no issues apart from being limited in using the longer and heavier high BC bullets.
    Why?

What do you want a 284 to do that will be better than a 7mm-08? Extra dead?

Better you spend the cash on more ammo (and a 22LR if you don't already have one) and shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Thats money well spent.

L.R
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Why?

What do you want a 284 to do that will be better than a 7mm-08? Extra dead?

Better you spend the cash on more ammo (and a 22LR if you don't already have one) and shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Thats money well spent.

I couldn't agree more. You risk turning a gun that shoots well into a shitter, and the velocity gain will be fuck all with a factory length barrel. Unless you want to get into long range shooting don't waste your time, even then 284 will be restricted in a short action.

Dont rechamber a 7mm08 to a 284 unless your for some reason running it on a long action.

Even with the 7mm08 running 162's I cant seat to fit the lands, gonna have to get Abe to extend the mag well at some stage. The only reason to run the 284 would be to run 180's at a reasonable speed, in which case your screwed on a short action mag fed.

But if your gonna single feed by all means, go for it. But I'd rather neck down 308 lapua brass at $1.10 per case than neck up 6.5-284 lapua brass, neck turn (maybe) and ream the insides (most likely) at $2 a case.

Long action is different story, definitely run 284 over 7mm08. My 6.5-284 has 8mm left in the mag when seated to lands in a standard mag well (140 VLD's)

Chris

Yes you have to either run a long action or like me a non mag fed action like my Barnard to make the most of the .284 powder capacity -mine hapens to be a .284 shehane so fits a couple more grains of powder -don't know if its worth the hassle with special dies and stuff -still nice to be the kid with the flash toy on the block this season lol