Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: 284 win brass question

284 win brass question

Hi folks

So I've been working up loads for my 284, its a tikka action with a 28" TF Varmint Barrel.

I've been using Norma brass, 168gr Berger VLDs and 2209. I've run through loads from 52-53.5gr.

I get good half inch groups at 53 grains but get excellent sub half inch groups at 53.5 grains ,

The issue is I have ejector marks and sticky bolt at 53.5.

Is necked up lapua brass likely to hold up a bit better? I have heard that norma brass is on the soft side.

Not sure if this helps but... when i got my .284 up and running i was using Lapua 6.5/284 brass necked up.

I ran a series of loads for my 150 gr Sierras but settled on 53 gr AR2209 as the most accurate... i didn't have any issues with 54 gr loads but my barrel was just a reamed out Tikka 7mm-08 barrel and not a TF like yours.

Even by changing the brass you can expect different results. Could try different primers?

ltimately i think you know what you need to do and that's get your hands on some different brass whether it be Lapua or something else to try out.

Yep you're correct, need to track down some different brass and give it a go.

I got pressure signs like you with lighter charges than anticipated, had formed donuts inside neck at neck/shoulder junction, neck turning to relieve this section fixed the issue and no pressure signs now

Yeah hopefully thats not the issue, I opted for a no neck turn chamber. If I do neck some brass up I'll make sure I neck turn it.

It may be that its just the first firing of the Norma brass that's the issue, it may improve once I use some of the fire formed brass.

Try going to 2213sc powder it will drop the pressure and will give a fuller case, Norma brass is thinner than Lapua.

Go 53 and see if you can get the accuracy back with seating depth tweaks?
    kickinwings likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    I got pressure signs like you with lighter charges than anticipated, had formed donuts inside neck at neck/shoulder junction, neck turning to relieve this section fixed the issue and no pressure signs now
    Yeah I have either this issue or a carbon ring. Finding random pressure spikes on what used to be a perfectly fine load

The load for my 284 is using 2217 with the lapua brass necked up which generally holds pressure well. Would't 53.5 be getting close to a compressed load with 2209 and the 168's? ADI says this is a compressed load in the recent load book

Quote Originally Posted by JL12 View Post
    The load for my 284 is using 2217 with the lapua brass necked up which generally holds pressure well. Would't 53.5 be getting close to a compressed load with 2209 and the 168's? ADI says this is a compressed load in the recent load book
    It will depend on how long or short the throat is. Long throat u can hang the long projectiles way out there and won’t run into compressed loads so quickli

Yeah as chainsaw mentioned it is long a throated chamber, plenty of room in the case with 53.5 of 2209 seated just off the lands.