Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree26Likes
  • 12 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 4 Post By GWH
  • 5 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By Tikka7mm08
  • 1 Post By GWH

Thread: 284win Re26/162gr Amax ladder test.

GWH

284win Re26/162gr Amax ladder test.

So ive been playing with some Re26 for a little while, and am now running it in my 7mm SAUM with great results.

Ive also tried it with 180gr eldms in my 22 inch barreled Tikka M595 in 284win. Which really impressed me with the velocity achieved.

However I decided to drop back to 162gr in the M595 284win so wanted to try the Re26 naturally.

After running some numbers on QL i loaded up at ladder test from 58gr to 61gr in .5gr increments and went to the range.

Heres the results of the 7 round ladder.

Note: This barrel has a very long throat and im running a coal of 3.175"

I knew my 58gr starting load with the 162gr was safe in my rifle as I'd already shot that charge weight in this rifle with a 180gr.

Please start lower than 58gr and work up in your rifle.

Quite impressive velocities for the charge weight and barrel length.

The 7 roumd ladder seemed to shoot an ok group as well, discounting the 2nd to last shot that i must have pulled to the right, the 6 shot group measured .63 inch CTC. (Shot at 100 yards)

The first 4 shots were all touching, so its looking quite promosing.

Looking forward to the next stage of developing this load.

Again if in your rifle you cannot run a coal as long as mine and still be well off the lands, PLEASE START LOWER THAN MY 58GR STARTING LOAD.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    buzzman, wsm junkie, tikka and 9 others like this.

Pretty damn good! How fast were the 180s?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Pretty damn good! How fast were the 180s?
    I saw over 2900 on the chrony but that was at the top end and pretty hot, i settled on 2825 fps.
    stagstalker likes this.

Nice, gotta like that. RL26 fairy dust seems to work real well in a range of calibres.
    Interestingly i got pretty similar results with RL17 & 162AMAX in 22in bbl 284. Got up to ~3040 fps but that load was getting"warm", backed off ~1gn for 2980fps and nice tight grp
    GWH likes this.

Brilliant its quick alright inalways shot my 7mm RM at 3030 with the 162 and 2225 and we had one up to 3180 few months ago

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Nice, gotta like that. RL26 fairy dust seems to work real well in a range of calibres.
    Interestingly i got pretty similar results with RL17 & 162AMAX in 22in bbl 284. Got up to ~3040 fps but that load was getting"warm", backed off ~1gn for 2980fps and nice tight grp
    The old 284win sure seems to perform above its case size would indicate. Great velocity for the charge weight compared to 7 Saum or Rem Mag etc.

You can see why so many F class shooters use the cartridge, it seems a really nice balance of powder capacity, bc, recoil, velocity and obvioulsy precision.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    The old 284win sure seems to perform above its case size would indicate. Great velocity for the charge weight compared to 7 Saum or Rem Mag etc.

You can see why so many F class shooters use the cartridge, it seems a really nice balance of powder capacity, bc, recoil, velocity and obvioulsy precision.
    You would have to be a velocity hound to go a magnum over that 284W performance

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    You would have to be a velocity hound to go a magnum over that 284W performance
    The reason a lot (most?) of the top F Class shooters went 7mm SAUM over 284W was with the velocities they were pushing 284s the primer pockets were getting sad after a few loadings. Using the SAUM got the top end 284 velocities without stress plus the tuning of the loads in the SAUM are usually easier.

Then the NRANZ imposed/enforced the range energy limits which meant the SAUM had to be throttled back like driving a Ferrari in a 50 kph speed limit. This makes the 284W a viable proposition again.

With my 284 I was fortunate in that it had a "fast" barrel and my loads were stress free with a 180 gr Hybrid doing 2815 fps, right on the energy limit.
    Last edited by zimmer; 14-11-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    GWH, chainsaw, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.

I also run RL-26 in a 243 with 105/108gr bullets. at about 0.7 under book max I'm running just over 3000 fps, did test up to book max but I had my heart set on achieving 3000 fps so I did not need the little extra.
    next step is to see if 115gr bullets will stabilize in my 1:8 barrel. may have to single feed them as I'm about as long as I can go in my HS mags.
    Z
    Moa Hunter likes this.

RE26 strikes again. More stable/less twitchy than N560 in my experience. That long throat is helping. Be very happy with that potential from the ladder test.
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    RE26 strikes again. More stable/less twitchy than N560 in my experience. That long throat is helping. Be very happy with that potential from the ladder test.
    Yep it sure seems to be damn good stuff if several cartridges ive tried it in now. Yep its looking very promising, hopefully Ill get to do the next stage over the weekend.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.