Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Impure Lead Flinger

3 days in the rain.... 3 lessons......

I planned a wee hunt last week and being the stubborn prick I am I still went despite the 4cast...

It rained a fuck load I got fucking extremly wet (thank hell for instep crampons) and no i didnt shot nothing just found some great country for a return looksee...

3 little issues id like to share...

1... the 3 rounds in the mag during the 3 days of pissing down WX to tops and back when finally fired when almost back to truck at Mr GOATIE went click.... YEP THEY GOT WET AND BECAME DUD!!!!!!!

2..... I HBN coat my pills for targets and a wee lesson here.... HUNTING AND COATING PILLS DONT MIX.... POI change here...

3.... 515m Mr goatie amax FAIL after 2m-300m perfect performances... PICS ATTACHED OF THIS.. you will see the shoulder minced and no penetration beyond ribcage... entry wound of the skin was a nice wee finger sized hole before I chopped skin away, when I got there I saw the hole and the blood and the position of the hole and thought excuse me Mr GOAt WHY ANT YOU DEAD???.......
    So im thinking how does a 2m amax shot at 3060fps dissolve the internals when a 515m shot at 2200fps at arrival mince the shoulder and not make it past mr ribs?
    300m shot was exit after entering just behind shoulder???? MASSIVE AMAX FAIL TODAY!!!

Minced shoulder with skin cut away 515m AMAX hit

Shoulder cut away and NOO penetration...

Strange how I got a pill failing at such a low speed and longer distance when everythings been going so well inside this distance to date...
    Was out of me 6.5-06 doing 3067 at last chronying...

Have been toying with 120GMXs which have same POI and doing 3250 all ive shot with so far is mr goaties but nice clean through holes, but would like to see them on some mr DEER action, especially the 300+ instances...

Have a "large" upcoming hunt and concensus is Mr march is coming off 6.5 and going on .270 as i know and am confident the 140 BTSPs will more than accomadate even the "large" deer species to 500m.. and 500m is a distance IM extremly confident with... Also the .277 140 BTSP has never let me down and ive put these particular pills in things to almost 700m without fail...

I should have taken some of the excellent examples of a pill doing its job with the 2m 50m and 300m hits.... but oh well...
    ta

R93
    Get the swifts BB. I never had a problem smoking deer with the Amax's but your experience and others I have heard makes me glad I didnt have to find out the hard way. Glad I changed to the Sirrocco when I did. I note some lung blood in the pics so something got thru, or is that your knife work Just about got the money set aside for my new March. I found a cheap source for a new saddle mount for the Blaser. Looking forward to getting it set up and shooting.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Yeah something got through Just fuck all, couple of mere fragmentd id say... Do you still have that 400+m swift mushy pic dave? should post it!!!!

Ive got a pack of those sitting and waiting I think this is the thing i was waiting for to change to them... Ill retain the amax as steel pills but Im moving more towards the 338 and 243 as steel pingers in total this year and pushing 6.5 towards my hunting allrounder.....

Abraham has just bought me some fun lighting toys to shave a LB or two of Mr 6.5 which should drop it into my perfect carry weightzone and I at this stage think I will also be shaving atleast 2" off the tube.. But then its back at 3000 FPS and I may as well be running a .260AI.....

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Yeah something got through Just fuck all, couple of mere fragmentd id say... Do you still have that 400+m swift mushy pic dave? should post it!!!!

Ive got a pack of those sitting and waiting I think this is the thing i was waiting for to change to them... Ill retain the amax as steel pills but Im moving more towards the 338 and 243 as steel pingers in total this year and pushing 6.5 towards my hunting allrounder.....

Abraham has just bought me some fun lighting toys to shave a LB or two of Mr 6.5 which should drop it into my perfect carry weightzone and I at this stage think I will also be shaving atleast 2" off the tube.. But then its back at 3000 FPS and I may as well be running a .260AI.....

[img][/img]

Come out of a Bull Tahr that won heaviest at the Ashburton comp. Shot front on with the 06 at 400.
    It weighed 120grns, was 130grns. Can ya get 3000 out of an AI? My mates 06 is 24' and gets 3050 easy.

What about the 129gr Hornady SST?

Mud or thick matted hair? Stag last roar with sst out of the 08 required 3 shots he was covered in mud and the first two shots didnt penitrate at all put him down but just long enough to run up and put one in neck. I put it down to the thick coating of semi dryed mud on him
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Haven't used them myself, but those I have talked to that use the Barnes TTSX reckon they are the business. They now do a line called LRX (basically a slippery TTSX) and have a 127gr 6.5mm, BC 0.468. Might be worth a try.

Half tempted to try the 7mm and 338 variants (168gr and 280gr).

Must say though, I'm surprised about the amax blowup at 500m. Might have expected something like that at really close range, although I have never experienced that either...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Mud or thick matted hair? Stag last roar with sst out of the 08 required 3 shots he was covered in mud and the first two shots didnt penitrate at all put him down but just long enough to run up and put one in neck. I put it down to the thick coating of semi dryed mud on him
    I shot a large stag up the ass last year with a 140gr 6.5, dropped him on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I shot a large stag up the ass last year with a 140gr 6.5, dropped him on the spot.
    Now run barnes for these situations.Cant comment on there long range performance
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Impure Lead Flinger
    No mud it was just wet as was pissin down with rain....

I only posted it as I was surprised to see it fail where it did... Convinced it was a DUD pill....

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    [img][/img]

Come out of a Bull Tahr that won heaviest at the Ashburton comp. Shot front on with the 06 at 400.
    It weighed 120grns, was 130grns. Can ya get 3000 out of an AI? My mates 06 is 24' and gets 3050 easy.
    No but you can get 2950 and when your talking that much difference you may as well run with the entended throat and barrellife..

R93
    No but you can get 2950 and when your talking that much difference you may as well run with the entended throat and barrellife..

Good point. Im thinking of the 260AI or 6.5x55 AI for the boys first centerfire. Good thing is, I get to set it up and it could take a while.

Could be a dud pill Adam.

Ive had nothing but bad experiences with 208 amaxes and those SST's you so willingly sold me

Have you used the 140 bergers? Ive got 150 of them I want to try.

We shot a very medium sized bull last May, he took on board 3 well placed 130g FBSP 130 grain 270's, it took a barnes though the lungs to put him down for good. (he would have died but not before he was un recoverable)

I'd think twice about using SP's on Tahr if you want to recover them. Barnes are the business, but are supposedly hard to make shoot due to fouling, a problem you wont have aye

Chris

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Good point. Im thinking of the 260AI or 6.5x55 AI for the boys first centerfire. Good thing is, I get to set it up and it could take a while.
    HAHA funny that.... When do you want oehler? Im needing it thursday at this stage... you can have after that.. he who still has to make your bits anyway... meanwhile im off to catch a salmon for day or two

R93
    HAHA funny that.... When do you want oehler? Im needing it thursday at this stage... you can have after that.. he who still has to make your bits anyway... meanwhile im off to catch a salmon for day or two
    Yeah mate if its cool with you it would be good to compare it to my chrony. I have to possibly make up some new loads for the new .223 barrel. Shorter throat.
    I am back in NZ and on the coast on the 9th getting ready for my trip scrub. I am still keen to tag along for a salmon if your free up till the 24th. I am hopeing to get to the Rangi to annoy a mate and thrash his local water to foam.
    I need to get out of this heat and shoot something. Sick of seeing all this wildlife over here going around with out a care in the world
    Your heading down my way soon eh?