Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 2 Post By jakewire

Thread: 30 caliber seater

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

30 caliber seater

I haven't tried it simply because I have no 308 brass at the moment, but is there any reason why I couldn't use a 30 06 seater to seat bullets in 308 brass?
    Cheers.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

it will work other way around.......depth of die would be only thing I can see stopping it...you may not be able to screw adjustment down far enough to push projectile deep enough...try it with loaded round and see if it will make contact..that will answer question I would think.
    jakewire likes this.

Ahh good thinking Micky I never thought of that.
    I don't actually have any 308 factory either but I'm sure I could rustle some up in the neighbourhood to give it a try
    I have 300win mag ammo, but that's not really the same thing.....
    Micky Duck likes this.

You might find the the .308 case has less tapper than the 30/06 and jambs in the seater, Though I think the Hornady seaters are straight to work with the
    bullet guide, Mr Google can help there

Ok thanks, will be careful with that
    There are two hornady seaters for 308 size and 30 06 size, they have different numbers, it is the hornady 30 06 size seater I have.
    The neighbour is sizing me a couple of 308 cases as we speak so I'll know shortly.

I wise man told me when I was starting out all those years ago that one of the first things I should buy was a stuck case remover, used it bugger all, but when you need it your stuffed without it. I encourage all newbies and most oldies to have one on hand
    Never used one in a seater though? always a sizer, first time for most things I suppose.

Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    You might find the the .308 case has less tapper than the 30/06 and jambs in the seater, Though I think the Hornady seaters are straight to work with the
    bullet guide, Mr Google can help there
    hmmm this could be why I could squeaze body of .308 brass in tiny bit more in old Lyman .30/06 dies......diamentions say it doesnt...but it did.pretty sure the hornady dies are generous in size...

Ok, for anyone that is interested my Hornady 30 cal seater #044112 bought as a 30 06 seater easily seats bullets in a 308 case way down past 308 COAL without any trouble with the case taper.
    Ha, not often I have a $ win
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Ok, for anyone that is interested my Hornady 30 cal seater #044112 bought as a 30 06 seater easily seats bullets in a 308 case way down past 308 COAL without any trouble with the case taper.
    Ha, not often I have a $ win
    I checked with my Hornady 300 Blackout seater today it will seat bullets in any size case as only the neck inters the die not the whole case body.