Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree26Likes
  • 8 Post By Gkp
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 6 Post By Jit
  • 1 Post By Tim Dicko
  • 3 Post By Jit
  • 3 Post By Double Shot
  • 2 Post By Gkp
  • 2 Post By Double Shot

Thread: 300 and 7mm Blaser Magnum

Gkp

300 and 7mm Blaser Magnum

There is a good article in the latest Nz Hunter mag written by Jared at blackwatch reloadingName:  IMG_20200620_084307.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  4.31 MB
    Looks like the Blaser catriges are starting to grain some momentum and with good reason.
    It was a good read although I found the reported velocity figures to be very mild. (or maybe I am running the 7 hot.!)

For those interested in the 7mm Blaser, I had a bit of time on my hands and found myself self at the reloading bench thinking about loading a mono into the 7BM.
    I picked up a packet of barnes 145lrx and couldn't help but notice that behind the ballistic tip was quite a wide diameter hollow point.
    Previously I have had great success with the TTSX 120 in a 7RM @3330 fps, it was a fantastic load zeroed at 300 yards and just point and shoot out to 400ish, it was a very impressive hunting round that I had taken 20 ish deer and 4 pigs with.
    It got me wondering if I could get a flat shooting laser load going with the lrx in the 7BM.
    3 loads later using rl22 and working up in 1 grain increments to find pressure then backed off wee bit a loaded up 3 rounds to run over the chrony. It was a blustery day do I didn't expect a great grouping but 3 shots easily achieved 0.5 moa and an average fps of 3411!!
    Looking forward to getting out and zapping a big red now.
    Anyway I thought 7BM fans may be interested in that load.
    Cheers G

I've been looking at the 7mm Blaser for a few months now... I'll probably get one at some stage but not likely for a while.

In regards to you loading the 7mm RM with 120's... what twist barrel and powder were you using?
    Gkp likes this.

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    I've been looking at the 7mm Blaser for a few months now... I'll probably get one at some stage but not likely for a while.

In regards to you loading the 7mm RM with 120's... what twist barrel and powder were you using?
    Barrel was 9 twist 24inch
    74 grains of Rl22

Jit
    Just completing by own build in that caliber. I used to run the 300BM with 208s, fiar bit of recoil!

Mine will be 24in 8.4 twist-proof research carbon barrel, Lone Peak Razor Ti action, Trigger Tec Special topped off with Hawkins and Swaro Z6 3-18x50BT.

i was going for 180s but these sound interesting alternatives.

Gkp
    Sounds like a nice shooter @Jit look forward to seeing it

Jit
    Just completing by own build in that caliber. I used to run the 300BM with 208s, fiar bit of recoil!

Mine will be 24in 8.4 twist-proof research carbon barrel, Lone Peak Razor Ti action, Trigger Tec Special topped off with Hawkins and Swaro Z6 3-18x50BT.

i was going for 180s but these sound interesting alternatives. I wonder what their low speed expension is like say at 2000fps or 650m?

Gkp
    I would Imagine that 650 may be the limit for the 145 lrx, but there is only one way to find out.
    I will be trying the 143 hammer hunter when they turn up as well so will make a good comparison

That was my favourite article in the mag. very cool
    Gkp likes this.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    That was my favorite article in the mag. very cool

The whole magazine seems to be improved and got more of a cool factor, with its photography and layouts. This article read as a Blaser R8 advertorial but interesting none the less. Funny the standard Blaser 7m twists aren't really fast enough to get the best from really long-range projectiles, I've had a bunch of them. Typically german conservative.
    outdoorlad, WillB and Gkp like this.

My 300 Blaser build has found it load, I have Nosler LRAB 190g running on RL-26 pushing an average 3190fps, was rather surprised but very happy, 5 rounds inside 11mm at 100m
    Moa Hunter, dannyb and Gkp like this.

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    My 300 Blaser build has found it load, I have Nosler LRAB 190g running on RL-26 pushing an average 3190fps, was rather surprised but very happy, 5 rounds inside 11mm at 100m
    Yes please!
    Double Shot and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Yes please!
    @Gkp I was pretty happy to say the least.
    dannyb and Gkp like this.