Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By bunji
  • 6 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By Spooner
  • 2 Post By Spooner

Thread: 300 Wby Loads

300 Wby Loads

Hey guys, new here and just wanting to get some info from y'all regarding the 300 Bee.

Im currently using Hornady brass, AR2213SC, AR2217 and have recently purchased Reloder 26.

Primers Im using Federal Large Magnum as the Winchester Large Magnum seemed a tad too much in my rifle.

Ive been loading 180g TTSX behind 83g of 2217, and velocity seemed a little low. I have some 210g Nosler LRAB id like to try.

The rifle is a Vanguard purchased in 2004. Im changing to a Wooden stock.

Any info would be appreciated

I have used a 300 Wby Mag around the world as my go to LR hunting rifle for over 14yrs & on its second barrel .I never had any urge to get a 300 Wby Mag but a mate had just had a custom one built & had a stroke at 32yrs old & was selling it to pay medical bills so l brought it more to help his young family than anything ,it is now one of my favorite calibers that the advances in bullet design have really put new life into it , what is the velocity "seemed a little low" you are getting ??

You are using completely different components to me so not about to recommend what qty's etc to use, but l can tell you after years of experience in the field sticking holes in animals not paper ,for hunting here l find the Barnes bullets in 165gr/180 TTSX BT shoot great out of my gun .75MOA, but more importantly perform fantastic in the field when taking my preferred shoulder shot, aiming to take out the offside shoulder . Bone crunching is what they do best

The best velocity for them in the field l have found are the 165 doing around the 3250fps & the 180 a bit over 3100fps, working your loads up to around those levels as suits your rifle will see it performing well on everything we hunt here in NZ. Never found the need for using heavy for caliber bullet weights or seeing how big a flame l can get out the barrel on any of my rifles.
    Last edited by bunji; 25-11-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    I have used a 300 Wby Mag around the world as my go to LR hunting rifle for over 14yrs & on its second barrel .I never had any urge to get a 300 Wby Mag but a mate had just had a custom one built & had a stroke at 32yrs old & was selling it to pay medical bills so l brought it more to help his young family than anything ,it is now one of my favorite calibers that the advances in bullet design have really put new life into it , what is the velocity "seemed a little low" you are getting ??

You are using completely different components to me so not about to recommend what qty's etc to use, but l can tell you after years of experience in the field sticking holes in animals not paper ,for hunting here l find the Barnes bullets in 165gr/180 TTSX BT shoot great out of my gun .75MOA, but more importantly perform fantastic in the field when taking my preferred shoulder shot, aiming to take out the offside shoulder . Bone crunching is what they do best

The best velocity for them in the field l have found are the 165 doing around the 3250fps & the 180 a bit over 3100fps, working your loads up to around those levels as suits your rifle will see it performing well on everything we hunt here in NZ. Never found the need for using heavy for caliber bullet weights or seeing how big a flame l can get out the barrel on any of my rifles.
    My number 1 hunting rifle for about 10yrs was a 300Wby, (Vanguard, wood blued 26") 165 Sierra Gameking Hp over a stout load of 2217 with 215 primer, shot 2 Tahr in line at 300yds and smashed all 4 shoulders once, both dead where they stood, have a vid of a rabbit shot at 30yds with it, rabbit wound up 2 meters up a tree, funny vid to those with a ghoulish sense of humour - one of the rifles I should not have sold! Some bloke out Springston way got it off me, if he was on here I would quite like it back! Nothing it got the trigger pulled on ever needed a second.

Id like to see that vid 257!

My current load at the moment is 180g TTSX behind 83g of 2217. Velocity is about 3050 fps and at 150m Im getting MOA groups but nothing tighter. Ive loaded some 210g LRAB with 83g of 2217, but i want to try the Reloder 26. Anyone used it before?

Quote Originally Posted by WengYong View Post
    My current load at the moment is 180g TTSX behind 83g of 2217. Velocity is about 3050 fps and at 150m Im getting MOA groups but nothing tighter. Ive loaded some 210g LRAB with 83g of 2217, but i want to try the Reloder 26. Anyone used it before?
    Yeh l have we used it in Africa as at one point Reloder was all we could get ,note while l was guiding in the tropics & Africa l always settled on just good accuracy & game performance from "mild" loads for my rifle ,rather than speed to allow for the heat, as rifle most often sat in the dash racks rather than packed away in a case .

Again with the 180 TTSX l ran it at around the 3100-3150fps & it is devastating on game,the only 200's l ever used were the 200grn Nosler Partition with Reloder 33 & from my old load data they were doing just under 2850fps & the 200gr TSX FB with Reloder 25 again doing just under 3000fps.

I found Norma brass is by far the best as far as reuse & is apparently who Weatherby use for their excellent loads & preferred Rem 9 1/2m Primers or Fed GM215M's .
    Last edited by bunji; 25-11-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    WengYong likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by WengYong View Post
    Id like to see that vid 257!
    Don't know how to do that internetty shit!

Has anyone used the collet resizer die that sizes the brass just before the belt? Seen it used and it looks amazing.

I’ll have to take a look in my book. I’m shoot 168 amax with 2217. I’ll see if I can dig it out tomorrow. They can be loaded to silly numbers but if you want something nice to shoot then lighter projectiles are the go. I shot some 200 and 220’s and they were noticeably more boot. I’m using an MK V Accumark. No brake.

Im not recoil sensitive so I don't mind the heavier loads. Wouldn't mind getting some 200g Accubonds and some IMR 7828. If you don't mind me asking where did you get your rifle?

I brought it in the USA when I lived there. I’m running 90grn 2217 behind 168grn a-max. I have a Weatherby vanguard in 300wby as well. In box, unfired, brand new. I have considered selling it to build another 256 WBY at some point because I have a reamer for that.
    WengYong likes this.

90gr thats a stout load all right! The Vanguard is it a 24 or 26 inch barrel?

I’m pretty sure it’s 26 inch. My opinion is you want the longest barrel you can live with on a large magnum, otherwise you are just shooting flames and wasting energy.
    mimms2 and WengYong like this.