Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By BRADS
  • 1 Post By striker

Thread: 300 Win Mag with 200gr ELD -X

300 Win Mag with 200gr ELD -X

Been mucking around with a few rifles and loads today and for the first time I tried some ELD -X 200 gr bullets in my Tikka T3. I had it sighted in 1.5 inches high at 100yards with the 178 gr ELD -X which has been going rather well but thought I would try a heavier bullet for a change.
    I wanted 2900fps or better so after reading up on various powders I seen that Reloader 26 would give me that and even more so I bought a tin and loaded a few test rounds up.
    I did 3 at 73grs and 3 at 74grs and my COAL is 85.5mm and fits the Tikka magazine.
    I tried the 6.5 and 270 first and they were shooting where they should be so I moved onto the 300 Win. The loads at 73grs averaged 2859 fps and the 74 gr batch averaged an even 2900fps. More than happy with that and the accuracy was around an inch and to the same point of impact as the 178 gr load so no need to alter anything. Still needs to be checked at longer ranges to be sure its all go.
    Its a nice grunty load at just under 3800ft pounds energy and holds 1800fps out to 850yds which is recommended for the bullet to open reliably. Still has close to 1000 ft pounds energy out to close on 1200 yards but I think that is a bit beyond me.
    I could run the loads hotter and most likely get over 3000fps but at the moment I think I will stay at 74 grs and try and get a few animals before altering anything.
    Anybody else using this combo and have any info on it's performance near and far ?
    jakewire and Gibo like this.

Hey mate I've just zeroed mine with factory ammo, Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr Eld-x which is going the same speed as your load I'll shoot some animals next week and see how it goes.
    jakewire and Gibo like this.

Cool, be keen to hear how it goes. I am hoping that the 200 gr bullet will be better on those Sambar stags, not to say the 178 gr bullet didn't work.

The Original Striker
    I use the 200's but at a slower 2500fps/mv.
    They work great on goats at distance and seem to hold together better on my unscientific water bottle tests at medium range ie 400 yards. compared to bergers anyways no jacket seperation
    so starting out quicker should be even better
    Mooseman likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

2920 is what I run 200 eldx at, you'll struggle to find a better load. Just shot a good red stag on the weekend at 520yrds dead on the spot. Never had a problem with these bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac View Post
    2920 is what I run 200 eldx at, you'll struggle to find a better load. Just shot a good red stag on the weekend at 520yrds dead on the spot. Never had a problem with these bullets
    Nice going, that load you use is in a 300 Win and using the same powder and Charge ? Yes I reckon that load should be good for most things near and far.

300wsm, 62gr RL17

Good load obviously works, you are right about the ELD X they work well.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Cool, be keen to hear how it goes. I am hoping that the 200 gr bullet will be better on those Sambar stags, not to say the 178 gr bullet didn't work.
    Interesting projectile, far softer than I imagined they would be. Shot a fallow doe at about 50 yards in the shoulder, didn't even penetrate more than a foot into her, no exit.
    Red stag at 330 yards, hit no major bone, I recovered the projectile and there was only the copper jacket left, had she'd all lead. These are just two examples.
    I would be a bit undecided whether I'd use them on big stags or Sambar, I'm probably going to give them the flick and go with the 208 gr eld m. If I'm going to have a frangible bullet then might as well have one that goes virtually the same velocity but with a far superior ballistic coefficient.
    My thoughts anyway.

Have shot two sambar stags with the 178gr ELD X in 300 Win Mag and two sambar hinds with my 6.5 x55 and the 143gr ELD X all with no problems. I think the 200 gr bullet in ELD X should be just a bit better as it has a higher BC than the 178 gr and maybe will get better penetration on the bigger animals, will have to wait and see, will be using them over the roar most the time.