Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pongo12

Thread: 300 win mag

300 win mag

Helping a mate reload, it's NOT a calibre I'm familiar with, I can help with process and reload techniques but this particular rifle has given my friend an unusual result, mainly around bullet jump at 20 thou, which i didn't see coming, I've got him to reload the same test group but this time I spending more time with him around case prep etc.

He was getting Sub MOA but not what I would call tight, then again it is a 300 win mag and god only knows when those rounds would actually stabilise, let alone when they go through their transonic stage, (a discussion for a later date I'm guessing?)

But he has hit a node/ load at 70gr in 2213, using hornady brass over a fed 215 primer, projectile is a 178 ELD match, barrel is 1/11 24 inch sako A7. His load max is 74, he's told me that it open d up after 71 gr.

Is anyone familiar with that cal and are we likely to find another node closer to max,happy to try he said he's not seen any of the pressure signs he had with 2217.

I'm of the mind to stop polishing the cannon ball and enjoy the current results but am extremely mindful that at the top end range, and yes he shoots gongs at distance am I hamstring him? Plus bullet jump, something seems odd 20 thou off lands??

Just looked at the adi book and a bit of variation as the round sits between their suggested load per project weight

I use 84grn of 2225 for 210vld and 212eldx at 3000fps
    Cartman likes this.

That's honking pongo.
    My load was 76 grains of 2225 with the 215 bergers going 2950fps. If it were me I wouldn't fuck around with the 178s get the most out of it with the 210+ range

Haha yea the 210 are actually going 3030. Yea bloody oath use big pills. They hit hard