Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 300 win mag

300 win mag

Is there a particular weight,grain with the 300 thats better for longer distances, shot 3 different bullets sighting in and the 165 sako was the best. I want to shot out to 600-700 so would i be better going for 180 or heavier for that distance for knock down power or stick with the 165 since it shoots well. Cheer in advance for any info.

Caretaker
    178 grain ELD-X projectiles
    Friwi and NZscopes like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

If twist rate allows, something in the 200 grain range is the go. The 208 amax/ELD-M are very popular in that cartridge for long range hunting. 1 in 11twist or faster and you'll be laughing. As long as it shoots them well that is.

The 180 - 200 gr class of bullet would be about ideal for the 300 Win, you will get more energy further out with the heavier bullets. I am running the 190 gr Noslar LRAB at the moment and the 200 gr ELDX , both seem to be shooting to the same point of aim. The 190 gr LRAB is a very good choice as its designed to open up at about 1300 fps so that will be way out there. They can be a bit finicky to get shooting well in some rifles.
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyR View Post
    Is there a particular weight,grain with the 300 thats better for longer distances, shot 3 different bullets sighting in and the 165 sako was the best. I want to shot out to 600-700 so would i be better going for 180 or heavier for that distance for knock down power or stick with the 165 since it shoots well. Cheer in advance for any info.
    What ever you do practice practice practice for that range . On paper and steel not animals . At that range it needs to be spot on at 100 so you want your most accurate load. All of the above projectiles mentioned are primo options for long range if you can get them to shoot accurately . If it's a 3" group at 100 dont use it just because its 180-210gns by the time it's at 600 with some environmental factors it becomes a case of "if theirs lead in the air their hope" no good I'd use the eldx
    300CALMAN likes this.

JLF
    The bullets of greater weight, and consequently of greater length, have a greater CB, they are the best to shoot at long distances.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    The bullets of greater weight, and consequently of greater length, have a greater CB, they are the best to shoot at long distances.
    Not necessarily.

You can have a 'heavy for caliber' (e.g 200 grain .30 cal) bullet made to be round nosed (tangent ogive), straight walled and flat based, and it's BC will be lower than a 168 grain 30 cal bullet designed with a ballistic tip, secant ogive and boat tail.
    bunji, 300CALMAN, MattyR and 1 others like this.

JLF
    I forgot to specify that it is not applicable for round nose bullets.
    MattyR likes this.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

That 165 sako ammo has a bc of .530 so if that's nice and accurate with plenty of practice that will be more than good enough for your mentioned ranges . What length barrel?
    MattyR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    That 165 sako ammo has a bc of .530 so if that's nice and accurate with plenty of practice that will be more than good enough for your mentioned ranges . What length barrel?
    The length is 24.3 what it says on the box. Its a tikka t3 wideland model 1.11 twist i think

I’m just starting load development for my kimber 300 win mag and was recommended Berger elite hunter 180 gr.
    Happy so far with under 1 inch group at 100m although got a few more loads to test before settling on a node.
    MattyR likes this.

I see theres some packets of hornady 200gr eldx at the local h&f so might give those a go.

The 200gr eldx went well in my tikka years ago, hitting steel at 750 yds no issues, the only time I'd used it at longer range (from memory I was using a good load of 2213sc), never tried on animals at that distance but if you put it in the right spot it would do the job nicely. But as above practice first. I got my first doc stag with that combo at about 10 yds after carrying it around the tops looking for animals at distance.
    MattyR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    The 200gr eldx went well in my tikka years ago, hitting steel at 750 yds no issues, the only time I'd used it at longer range (from memory I was using a good load of 2213sc), never tried on animals at that distance but if you put it in the right spot it would do the job nicely. But as above practice first. I got my first doc stag with that combo at about 10 yds after carrying it around the tops looking for animals at distance.
    Sweet bro cheers for that. Were you reloading?

I have had a fair bit to do with the 300's over the years ,having shot a lot of game with them over the years watched a lot of clients using them as the yanks had a fetish for them for years ,both here & in Africa,PNG & Top End of Oz where we would easily shoot a couple of 100 Jesus taxis & Brumbies over a week end of section clearing .I have used a custom 300 Wby Mag for over 2 Decades & 2 Barrels ,also have a 300 RUM for long range shooting .

My go to loads for the 300 all used Woodleighs as after seeing how not having Cannelures or relief grooves lengthens the amount of bearing surface so they hold tighter in the dumpy neck of the .300 Win & they perform perfectly at 300 velocities .

My all round loads was the 180gn PP SN Woodleigh getting pushed along at just over 3000 fps, l have taken Reds at a lazed 847 mtrs with it.

My 200grn load was ; The Woodleigh 200gn PP SN doing just over 2900fps & my 165gn load was a Woodleigh PP SN doing just under over 3100 fps.

Those were all loaded for Plains Game, Deer & Tahr etc ,just for meat hunting etc here any other good bullet designed to work at those speeds would drop anything walking here.
    Last edited by bunji; 12-01-2022 at 12:42 AM.
    MattyR likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan