Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: 300 wsm 175 siera match king any good on deer

300 wsm 175 siera match king any good on deer

300 wsm 175 siera match king any good on deer? my mate found the new 210 match kings not as good on animals as he would have liked. has any one had experience shooting deer with these projectiles? close or far away. cheers

The 168 smk worked allright in my 308 but ended up using the 165 gamekings hunting bullet for hunting, rarely have complaints out to 500 yards. It all boils down to bullet placement in the end though.
    WallyR and Tim Dicko like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The 168 smk worked allright in my 308 but ended up using the 165 gamekings hunting bullet for hunting, rarely have complaints out to 500 yards. It all boils down to bullet placement in the end though.
    cheers bro appretiate your input. he is looking at the 180 gameking. i think that could be the go.

Link
    Hey mate I use these projectiles in a short barrel .308. Muzzle velocity is only 2400 however I find them still effective out at 330m which is the max range I have used it on deer. Have found them adequate on maybe 20 deer from yearlings to stags with follow up shots only required due to poor shot placement. They can be quite messy and often find that the projectile will fragment inside the animal so I'd say they would be even more so at 300wsm velocities...

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Hey mate I use these projectiles in a short barrel .308. Muzzle velocity is only 2400 however I find them still effective out at 330m which is the max range I have used it on deer. Have found them adequate on maybe 20 deer from yearlings to stags with follow up shots only required due to poor shot placement. They can be quite messy and often find that the projectile will fragment inside the animal so I'd say they would be even more so at 300wsm velocities...
    Cheer link thats very helpful. he is firing them at 3100 fps, his concern is it exploding on the shoulder. good to hear they are fragmenting well.

I used 190 Berger hunting Cld in the wsm to good effect. Shot about 100 deer with them. All were bang flop providing it was engine room, head or neck.

175 SMK in the 308 didn't go that well so didn't try them in the wsm.

Good luck
    Warm Barrels!

Tell Marcus to get a 7mm08 bro

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    I used 190 Berger hunting Cld in the wsm to good effect. Shot about 100 deer with them. All were bang flop providing it was engine room, head or neck.

175 SMK in the 308 didn't go that well so didn't try them in the wsm.

Good luck
    cheers mate apprietiated. its a mates rifle. ill pass it on.