Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 300WSM loading options (homework)

Question 300WSM loading options (homework)

Hi guys,
    something I am looking into is re barrelling my 270wsm to a short barrell 300wsm to improve the balence a bit and make it nicer to shoot offhand when required whilst still being a solid 600 yard nockem dead on the spot rifle.

so with all this in mind I have a few questions.

how short until it's not going to do what I want ? I was thinking 19-20" running a suppressor.

Mag length is somewhat limited being a Sako A7 action, so pill choice may be a bit limited (say maybe stick to 160-180gn range)

what powders are worth looking at ? I see 2209 would be an obvious choice, but I do have a fairly large amount of 2225 is this a viable option ?

brass......I have a reasonably quantity of 270WSM brass can this be successfully resized to 300WSM or will I be forced to by factory ammo to get myself some 300WSm brass as it seems to be harder to find than most unicorn parts currently.

this is all homework at this stage I have enough 270wsm components to likely see out my current barrel so no rush to change anything.

also before anyone points it out I know it won't be the most efficient way to achieve the results I hope to but it's what I want to work with and the rifle is sentimental to me, hopefully the shortened 300wsm should do everything the 270wsm can do at full length maybe even better....
    #DANNYCENT

I load for a couple of 300WSM both are tikka's with 20" barrel and using 168 ELDM and Barnes and both use Hodgdon superprofrmance.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

ok...so what happens if you fed your .270 wsm some 160 grn partitions......on paper,how does it stack up to your 300wsm????
    what is the slipperest heavy .277 projectile we can actually get a hold of??? berger perhaps or a 150 NBT????
    haw fast can you poke them out?????

not that long ago a wise man said to me"I was looking at the WSM all wrong,its not about making it go faster,its about making it go just as fast in shorter action"

so if he is right and its not about making projectiles go faster...he could go heavier and add a few more clicks on his dial and do same thing (hit animal X at X range with X amount of ftlbs of energy) with less $$$$ leaving his pocket ...could he not??????

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ok...so what happens if you fed your .270 wsm some 160 grn partitions......on paper,how does it stack up to your 300wsm????
    what is the slipperest heavy .277 projectile we can actually get a hold of??? berger perhaps or a 150 NBT????
    haw fast can you poke them out?????

not that long ago a wise man said to me"I was looking at the WSM all wrong,its not about making it go faster,its about making it go just as fast in shorter action"

so if he is right and its not about making projectiles go faster...he could go heavier and add a few more clicks on his dial and do same thing (hit animal X at X range with X amount of ftlbs of energy) with less $$$$ leaving his pocket ...could he not??????
    A very wise man indeed however the 270WSM doesn't take kindly to shortening as well as the 300wsm and I would ideally like a shorter barrel so I think the 300wsm would be ideal.
    Pill selection is fairly limited too in the 270 family so this is another factor not that the mighty 145gn eldx doesn't slay everything as above I'd lke something equally capable or better in a shorter barrel using the rifle I already have.
    #DANNYCENT

so how short....and how badly does it make it???? eg what velocity will you drop down to if went to desired length????
    it must be doable,if you recal a few seasons back the "Duleys" were using std .270 as a short bush rifle suppressed because when they ran the figures it beat the competition soundly with factory ammunition options......so SURELY your shorter fatter case with similar capacity should be able to still generate useful velocity even given a shorter tube to work with....go on humour me with predicted velocity for both .277 and .308 in the wsm at desired barrel length so I crunch some numbers and see what the attraction is.....

so how short....and how badly does it make it???? eg what velocity will you drop down to if went to desired length????
    it must be doable,if you recal a few seasons back the "Duleys" were using std .270 as a short bush rifle suppressed because when they ran the figures it beat the competition soundly with factory ammunition options......so SURELY your shorter fatter case with similar capacity should be able to still generate useful velocity even given a shorter tube to work with....go on humour me with predicted velocity for both .277 and .308 in the wsm at desired barrel length so I crunch some numbers and see what the attraction is.....
    my current 270WSM load is 145gn ELDX @3059fps out of a 22" barrel
    no idea on 30 cal pills but somthing like a 168gn eldm @2900 fps I think should be achievable out of a 19" barrel
    I'm at work so don't have access to my Strelok to crunch the numbers.....bear in mind I could also use 180gn NBt's in the 300WSM or any of the Norma Oryx line up 165gn and 180gn
    #DANNYCENT

so you want to loose 3"...at a worst case of 75fps per inch your current load would be down -225fps so2830ish...... right so I need to go digging now have some figures..... you want 2900 muzzle and 168grn projectiles energy....... will say 400yards just for grins n giggles.

right ho nosler 168grn hp BC .447

muzzle 2900fps--------400yards2121fps and1678ftibs with 21'' drop from a 200 yard zero

You should be able to run 178gr at 2900 or more from 20inch.
    7mmsaum and dannyb like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

nosler 140 grn NBT .456

MUZZLE will go 2900 cause its lighter....400 yards 2137fps and 1419ftlbs with 21'' drop from a 200 yard zero

nosler 140 grn NBT .456

MUZZLE will go 2900 cause its lighter....400 yards 2137fps and 1419ftlbs with 21'' drop from a 200 yard zero
    also un-obtainable I'm trying to stick to pills I can get....hence the 145edlx in 270 and the 165-180gn oryx or 180gn NBT or 168gn eldm for the 300wsm
    #DANNYCENT

I use 200gn eldx in mine (20 inch barrel) 2750fps. Shoots good as far as I want. Can repeatably hit things far away. I don't dial but use holdover on a B&C reticle
    400m is as far as I am interested in shooting on live game

Could go faster as load is middle of range for powder charge but why bother, dead is dead.

Basically I was trying to recreate my mates 30.06 in a bit handier package which it is

make that a .277 150grn NBT
    muzzle of will go 2800 cause its bit heavier.....400 yards 2107fps and 1479ftlbs with 22'' drop from a 200 yard zero

and just for grins n giggles cause its easy enough with manual open in front of me

will add in 160grn partition at 2700fps...cause that figure follows same curve/line of 10grns projectile = minus 100fps velocity

BC .434
    muzzle 2700fps-----400yards1932fps and 1326ftlbs with 25'' drop from 200 yard zero

now IF you could push that flying brick of a160grn partition at 2900 at muzzle it would be snapping at heels of the fatter 168grn .308 with said same 21'' drop and 1564ftlbs energy retained

all in all there is not a huge amount in it bud.....

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    also un-obtainable I'm trying to stick to pills I can get....hence the 145edlx in 270 and the 165-180gn oryx or 180gn NBT or 168gn eldm for the 300wsm
    I dont have 145 eldx data...so bracketing it with arguably a less slick option I do have data from.... to get trajectory and energy figures....close enough to be within ciggy packet

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I use 200gn eldx in mine (20 inch barrel) 2750fps. Shoots good as far as I want. Can repeatably hit things far away. I don't dial but use holdover on a B&C reticle
    400m is as far as I am interested in shooting on live game

Could go faster as load is middle of range for powder charge but why bother, dead is dead.

Basically I was trying to recreate my mates 30.06 in a bit handier package which it is
    would happily use 200eldx but I think my mag may be a little short to run them to potential....maybe not though

your right about the handy package though, that's mostly what I'm trying to achieve as with the 270WSM at 22 inches plus suppressor it just feels front heavy and is a bit cumbersome in tighter confines.
    in most situations 4-500 yards should cover most of my shots but I like to know I have enough energy out well past that....not that I will shoot that far. the 178eldms in my 30-06 were devastating on reds but they are now unavailable too
    #DANNYCENT