Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 303 headspace gauge

303 headspace gauge

does anyone have a 303 headspace gauge for a lee enfield that I could borrow or buy.
    cheers
    Ray

Ring Mike Collings from Whakatane.

You can buy head space gauges from Robert at Workshop inovations

thanks for the replies guys, I only want to gauge the new to me no4 mk1 before I put some rounds through it, so buying a set of gauges for $55.00 is a bit wasteful. Garyp do you have a contact no for Mike Collings?
    I would appreciate if you could post it for me.
    cheers

Mike Collings is 0212605211

Robert at Workshop Innovations hires them too. Give him a yell. Contact details on his website.

ahh! thanks for that wingman, I will email him.
    cheers

Another way is to use a bit of feeler guage to measure it.
    Cordite and csmiffy like this.

Banned
    A simpler way is to just shoot it, and if you don't get a case head separation, then its fine. I could count the .303's that have matching bolts I have seen on one hand.
    Once you've shot all your ammo, then just neck size that brass after that.
    Cordite and csmiffy like this.

thanks carlsen highway, getting my mitts on some gauges seems to be difficult, workshop inovation are waiting for new stock to arrive so got a blank there.
    the rifle is a as issued long branch no 4 mk1* matching numbers on all parts and I had to clean the cosmoline off it, so as you say it should be fine to shoot it.
    cheers everyone
    Ray

As issued still in wrapping would be worth a mint, unwrapped and cleaned slightly less fired less again. Pictures please, the only unissued ones ive seen have been irish.

the rifle is ex nz air force so it was issued, the chap I got it off who was in the airforce at the time he got it said they had 50 of these rifles that were in the armoury and were to be used as airfield defence if needed.
    In the early 70s they must have upgraded to SLR,s and the lee enfields were sold off via a ballot and he was lucky enough to get one, and as I said I had to clean the grease off the stock and barrel but it wasnt wrapped in that grease paper, just protected for long term storage, and I am really looking forward to firing it.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    As issued still in wrapping would be worth a mint, unwrapped and cleaned slightly less fired less again. Pictures please, the only unissued ones ive seen have been irish.
    1800ish in the grease, 1600ish unwrapped. 1100ish if fired. Some of us hoard them. Easy enough to find out where they were going by serial number. Lots more than just the irish contract although often referred to as such.

Everything 303 is getting expensive. I'll be getting the guage once workshop innovation gets some in stock.

Banned
    Shoot it. It's of no use to you if you don't shoot it.

I wouldn't even worry about the headspace until you have been given a reason too, especially since you know the rifle came straight from the Army.

And we want to see pictures too.
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    A simpler way is to just shoot it, and if you don't get a case head separation, then its fine. I could count the .303's that have matching bolts I have seen on one hand.
    Once you've shot all your ammo, then just neck size that brass after that.
    You have just stated a classic about the 303's. Most worry about headspace but its nowhere near as big an issue as it seems to be.
    I thought I had the dimensions written down or saved somewhere as I was going to make some coin style ones but forgot about it. Not on a lathe in the new job so that aint gonna happen.
    This has some info in there and the dimensions seem to pop up frequently so I would suggest are right although 70" seems to pop up as a field gauge dimension also. better descriptions in the link below
    https://www.enfield-rifles.com/deter...topic8001.html

GO = 0.064" NO-GO = 0.067" FIELD = 0.074".
    Last edited by csmiffy; 23-02-2019 at 12:45 PM.