Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By grandpamac
  • 3 Post By XR500
  • 2 Post By bluecod1967
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By shooternz

Thread: .303 Learnings

.303 Learnings

Greetings All,
    A couple of years ago a batch of .303 handloads was given to me. I don't shoot other peoples hand loads so finally, yesterday, they were broken down. The projectiles were 175 grain FMJ boat tails a little over .310" dia and the first one showed a bit of light corrosion on the base. Hmm. The powder was a short stick powder, like AR2206H but darker. Most poured out OK but some needed a tap or two and some a stir up. There was some light corrosion on the inside of some cases. I had seen this before on CAC ammo and am reasonably sure that the powder is AR2201. A charge was weighed 38 grains, one grain under the max for AR2201 listed in Cyril Waterworth's book Reloading Simplified. Snap.
    AR2201 was the first of what is now ADI's powders which was noted for its short shelf life. It was never offered as a cannister powder so speed varies from batch to batch. It was also very temperature sensitive. It was marketed in NZ by CAC in one pound tins costing around $10.00. It was my first powder and used in .303, .308 and .223 loads plus others now forgotten.
    The powder from the loads was spread in a gully behind the house. Would I use any if I found a tin in good condition? Hell no! An obsolete powder over 40 years old with no pressure tested data, Under the trees is the right place for it.
    Regards Grandpamac
    308, Mooseman, bumblefoot and 4 others like this.

Cripes! you wasted good powder on trees!
    I would not use it either, but I can assure you the disposal would have been more fun!

Anybody else with junk powder, please PM me and I will take it if possible.

Cheers, 40mm
    Use enough gun

I've a short video of "safely" disposing of a reasonable qty of shottie powder a number of years ago by putting a subsonic 'red firey thing' through it. 'twas most impressive. Will see if I can upload it somehow.
    timattalon, Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

i have a tin of that stuff its a bit wiffy so its out also really glad i read this post cheers
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Cripes! you wasted good powder on trees!
    I would not use it either, but I can assure you the disposal would have been more fun!

Anybody else with junk powder, please PM me and I will take it if possible.

Cheers, 40mm
    Ozzy rifle powder is made using cellulose from trees so I am returning the powder to its roots. Chuckle.
    Small quantities of rifle powder burnt in the open is not that impressive. Very large quantities are a different matter. Lake Denmark, Curtis Bay and Mulwalla to name a few.
    Regards GPM.
    PS, On a handloaders scale the death of J Bushnell Smith is a salutory lesson. Read the chapters on this in Hatchers Notebook if you can find a copy.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    A couple of years ago a batch of .303 handloads was given to me. I don't shoot other peoples hand loads so finally, yesterday, they were broken down. The projectiles were 175 grain FMJ boat tails a little over .310" dia and the first one showed a bit of light corrosion on the base. Hmm. The powder was a short stick powder, like AR2206H but darker. Most poured out OK but some needed a tap or two and some a stir up. There was some light corrosion on the inside of some cases. I had seen this before on CAC ammo and am reasonably sure that the powder is AR2201. A charge was weighed 38 grains, one grain under the max for AR2201 listed in Cyril Waterworth's book Reloading Simplified. Snap.
    AR2201 was the first of what is now ADI's powders which was noted for its short shelf life. It was never offered as a cannister powder so speed varies from batch to batch. It was also very temperature sensitive. It was marketed in NZ by CAC in one pound tins costing around $10.00. It was my first powder and used in .303, .308 and .223 loads plus others now forgotten.

The powder from the loads was spread in a gully behind the house. Would I use any if I found a tin in good condition? Hell no! An obsolete powder over 40 years old with no pressure tested data, Under the trees is the right place for it.
    Regards Grandpamac
    I scored a couple of plastic containers of 2201 years ago after CAC switched to other more suitable powder, They even loaded 243 and 270 with 2201
    until they got surplus 4831,
    Shot up all the 2201 in .303's and .308's with cast bullets had about 4 kgs of it
    Excellent powder for cast bullets burn rate was similar to IMR3031.
    Micky Duck likes this.

We used 2201 a lot back in the 70s a lot in the 243 worked well, also a lot got burned in the 303.

Ive still got a pound of it in good condition. Bought it off Din about 50 years ago and used it extensively in 303 and 308. Last used about 5 years ago. Good powder with heavy cast loads. I used 3031 load data.