Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By quadhunter260
  • 1 Post By FatLabrador
  • 1 Post By Walker

Thread: 303 reloading with lighter projectiles

303 reloading with lighter projectiles

Quite a few years ago there was an article or two in some NZ gun magazines about reloading the 303 with lighter weight projectiles . I think they may have been bullets designed for pistols in .312 cal , around 100-110 gn in bullet weight ?
    Does anyone remember those details or have experience doing this ?
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Gone but not forgotten
    i used 123gn sp ment for 7.62x39 in mine years ago made it nice to shoot sadly never got any game with it before i sold it
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've got a boxful of 7.62x39 that I plan on pulling and transposing, both powder and bullets, into .303 cases.

Mosin, AK47, SKS and SMLE have similar twist rates. For safety I plan on using a whisp of dacron (polyester pillow-fill) on top of the powder to keep it at the back of the bigger case and up against the firehole. I'll never run out of cheap ammo.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

In my experience that doesn't always work out too well, as the bigger case volume alters the burn profile of the powder maybe the dacron filler will work. In my early days of reloading I thought to make some 110 grain loads for a 3030 and used the load that worked fine in my m1 carbine. Surprisingly thumpy, case ejects with a little effort and the primer falls out. Fired one more then pulled all the rest and reloaded them with 3031.

I've just gone through this couple of weeks ago I got these https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...nady-100gr-xtp but there sold out now : (
    Loaded them at 2.550 OAL with 42 grain of 2206h with speeds of 2211 2241 2284 out of jungle carbine 19 inch barrel. They seem pretty slow other online threads had them going 2800 or something out of the no4s. They feed 4/5 and they grouped 3 inch at 100 yards.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Having played with all this thirty years ago, smaller projectiles just don't work. While 'newer' LE's used the MKVII, the enfield was still chambered to accept to old round nose ammo. This means a long throat and lead. Result is short bullets have a HUGE jump to the lands.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Greetings Ground Control,
    I played with this in a long throated .308 a while back and managed to get acceptable accuracy with the Speer 110 grain Varminter. This is a lot like the 100 grain .32 cal (.312 inch) pistol projectiles like the ones Fat Labrador used above. It will all come down to what sort of condition your throat is in and the only way you are going to find out is to try some test loads. As far as data goes I agree with Fat Labrador above in using AR2206H which is a very flexible powder. The Speer No 9 manual gives a max of 45 grains of IMR4895 behind the Speer 100 grain plinker in the .303. AR2206H is similar in speed to IMR4895. Best chance of accuracy is likely to be found well below that. Fat Labradors 42 grains looks like a good place to start. I used 40 grains of AR2201 (a little faster than AR2206H) in my loads.
    Best of luck with your search.
    Regards Grandpamac.