Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 308 ELD-X 178gr experiment - bullet or powder manufacturer?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Got it, thanks!

Strelok reckoned I need to dial 14 clicks at 300m if velocity was 2500fps, but I was hitting very high at that, 7 clicks was probably close. Scope could be doing more than a quarter MOA per click, though is a new Leupold so shouldn't be too far off. Next time at the range I'm going to stay at my 200m zero and measure actual drop at 300 and remove any scope effect. Then I'll see how many actual clicks I need to dial on my scope to be bang on at 300, which is of more use to me than theoretical clicks at an estimated velocity.
    Shot a few at the range today, still getting good groups (0.4-0.7 MOA at 200 and 300m). My rough estimations of velocity based on drop at 300m give me a muzzle velocity of around 2700fps which is way above book data. Next step is to check the BC is correct.

do a tall target test as well to check your scope clicks, most aren't exactly what is stated by manufactures even very expensive ones.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    do a tall target test as well to check your scope clicks, most aren't exactly what is stated by manufactures even very expensive ones.
    Based on the change in POI at 300m between two groups (first at 0 clicks and second up 12 clicks) my scope moves 0.28 MOA per click - but the 0 click group wasn't flash so will be a bit of plus or minus error in there!

I noticed last night my estimated velocity is the same as Flyblowns estimate at 2700fps, interesting, though it sounds like neither of us believe it.

Gone but not forgotten
    Finally ran some of my 178gr eld-x 308win loads over the chrony.
    My pet load of Lapua case, Federal 210 primer, 42.5 grains of AR2208 came out at 2565fps. Brno ZKK601 with 24 inch barrel, COAL of 2.85 inches (a jump of about 60 thou).
    It's even more my favourite load now, some more 0.4 to 0.5 MOA three shot groups, and my only group at 200m was 10mm (0.17 moa).
    Last edited by Cigar; 25-02-2019 at 10:51 AM.

ok so re-reading this thread I just have to ask....why are you guys dialing AT ALL for 300 yards???? surely if you are a couple or 3" high at 100 yards you will be on the money at 300 anyway so dialing is redundant???? once you KNOW what your drop is going to be surely a little Kentucky windage(I wonder if we need to pay the state of Kentucky to use that name now?) is quicker and far easier than twiddling with a dial....

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @ChrisF as per @ZQLewis in post #9 above, the AMax is not similar to, or a straight replacement for the ELD-X due to proven pressure problems at higher loads due to different bullet construction. AMax is similar to the ELD-M. It is written up by Hornady in a paper they published which I can’t find now. Very important not to switch bullets of a similar weight without working back up. N Foster reached this conclusion too and wrote it up in his book.
    @Flyblown - any experience with this difference in the 6.5? From our previous discussion you've primarily used the ELD-X in 6.5mm. Have you compared them to ELD-M more recently?

I'm about to get my hands on some Re16 to try in the Creedmoor and I'm debating where to focus my efforts?

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ok so re-reading this thread I just have to ask....why are you guys dialing AT ALL for 300 yards???? surely if you are a couple or 3" high at 100 yards you will be on the money at 300 anyway so dialing is redundant???? once you KNOW what your drop is going to be surely a little Kentucky windage(I wonder if we need to pay the state of Kentucky to use that name now?) is quicker and far easier than twiddling with a dial....
    Yup - For deer and Tahr, my rifle gets set up at +3" at 100yds, that gets me to 300yds on the shoulder without overthinking it, 400yds is use the post give or take, depending on the cartridge, any further away is sit down and make a brew, or get closer.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I have always had my 308 about 2 inches high at 100m, which should put it about bang on at 200 and good to 250m. Just about exactly a year ago was the first time its been on a range over 100m and with a scope other than a 2.5x20, so I actually zeroed it at 200 rather than 2 inches high at 100. The range went to 300 so I gave it a crack, though it was beyond what I would be comfortable shooting at an animal. I'm keen to try shooting paper at double that. The rifle now has a VX1 2-7x33 scope so still not really a dialing scope, but nowadays with finger-friendly dials, rangefinders and ballistic apps I would prefer to adjust the scope, if I had time to do so.
    Micky Duck likes this.