Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 308 Subsonics

308 Subsonics

Hi all
    I’ve got a bergara BA13 308, 16.5inch barrel 1/8 twist. I’d love to get some subsonic ammo but all the factory stuff seems unavailable.
    Is there a company in nz that would load it on request? Wanted for bush hunting, shots 0-60m
    Cheers

belmont in wanganui.....blackwatch???? just about anyone with reloading gear..... there is 3??? other threads on subsonic .308 running at present.....do a search and have a read...... you will be far better off with winchester factory 180grn powerpoint supersonics.........subs have their place,but its a small narrow niche.
    Dago likes this.

Cheers I’ll try Belmont, I don’t reload and don’t know anyone who does.

MB
    The only subsonic factory load designed for hunting in NZ that I'm aware of is the inappropriately named Super-X by Winchester. Have your tried to get those? Sometimes it's worth calling the dealers as they can get them if not in stock.

For someone who knows nothing at all about .308 subs, what is the advantage? When I look at ballistics charts they seem to suggest .308 sub is going to be about half as effective as .223, is there more to it than this?
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Quiet(er).

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Silent, infact there MB. (When supressed) There's the drop of the FP, a noise like ripping a silk nightee, and a mighty thump down range.
    Interesting. My experience with 300BLK subs which basically have the same characteristics as .308 subs is that they are louder than expected. I added another two baffles to my DPT suppressor (total six baffles) and it's under control, but I wouldn't say Hollywood "silencer" quiet. It's subjective, but I would say as loud as unsuppressed 22LR subs.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Interesting. My experience with 300BLK subs which basically have the same characteristics as .308 subs is that they are louder than expected. I added another two baffles to my DPT suppressor (total six baffles) and it's under control, but I wouldn't say Hollywood "silencer" quiet. It's subjective, but I would say as loud as unsuppressed 22LR subs.
    I would say your subs are not actually subsonic if it is that loud.

The heavier the projectile and the shorter the barrel the louder they will be as muzzel pressures are higher.
    With a 90grn xtp and a 22inch barrel the firing pin and then the thock of the bullet hitting its target is literally the loudest thing from the shooters perspective.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    You using factory ammo or rolling your own?

Factory uses slow powders to help cycle those naughty semis which makes more pressure at the muzzle.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Gone but not forgotten
    I’ve heard mention of I think Custom Cartridges in Taupō?

I have the same rifle with a DPT mini centrefire suppressor, definitely not silent but a hell of a lot quieter than supersonics.

Yea I’ve got that dpt mk2 suppressor on mine as well, just want to be as user and dog friendly as possible. Don’t see the need for super sonic for shots under 60m or so

Yea that’s the ones I’m trying to find but the dealer is also out of stock. Be keen to get someone to load those Leigh projectiles to try as well.

well Mimms.....once again I will beg to differ....to be sure IF you can place shot 100% correctly a subsonic will kill.....BUT if you miss vitals by half n inch a very pissed off animal will walk away..you have basically ZERO shock power.... its like using bow with target point arrows....long narrow wound channel....
    the lehigh rounds are expensive but are reported to preform well at terminal end with big opening.....still not going to be any better than arrow with small broadhead (narrow head?) because projectile is going slow you dont get the wave of pressure disrupting stuff and not he bruising as no punch so to speak....
    yes a chest shot through lungs and or heart will kill animal...BUT it can go a heck of a long way before dropping.....100 yards is long way in broken country....
    as I said in first post a supersonic 180grn power point will do job so much quicker and with more authority...a near miss of vitals will impart enough shock to allow second shot even with your break open....Ive had enough cockups with docile animal at sub 50 yard range to put me off subsonics as main round..... unless all the ducks are in a row its just not as effective and margin for error is so much less. 220 grn or 150 grn makes no difference if the 150 is passing right through anyway,thats basic physics ...to be sure if smashing through pelvis/gut bag and out shoulder area it MIGHT have enough to do it...but I wouldnt bet my steak dinner on it.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushline View Post
    Hi all
    I’ve got a bergara BA13 308, 16.5inch barrel 1/8 twist. I’d love to get some subsonic ammo but all the factory stuff seems unavailable.
    Is there a company in nz that would load it on request? Wanted for bush hunting, shots 0-60m
    Cheers
    there is a guy in Gisborne that was reloading for customers, Andy at HRC hunting and reloading (think that's what its called) Not my cup of tea but meant to know hes shit