Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Fireflite
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By Proudkiwi

Thread: .308 and Superformance

Bos

.308 and Superformance

Recently there seems to have been a lot of favourable comments regarding the extra velocity that Superformance provides over other powders in the ADI equivalent range.
    A good mate has recently bought a Ruger .308. Its a long range tactical thing that weighs a ton, and pretty sure they come with a short 18" barrel so he wants to try and squeeze a bit more velocity out of the short barrel.
    So this is where Superformance comes in to the discussion .
    Just wondering if anyone has had any earth shattering results with a powder/projectile combo out of a .308
    Cheers

no experience with SF powder in 308, but works a treat in my 284 with 20 bbl. Gets me an extra ~80 -100 fps over 2209.
    Its tricky powder to dispense - very fine and tends to get attracted to electrostatic surfaces

Yup - larger surface area for the burn given its closer to a ball cut powder style than a longer stick one of its stable mates usual for the 308 - hence faster burn and faster FPS...

Thinking about using this for the 308 with 110 Hornady flat bases as its currently a (Very) compressed load in some brass like the Outback Factory OSA brass that holds less than normal and struggles with a full load. Will need to dial back a bit too by the looks.

CD.

Can’t help with the powder but tried 150gr GMX Superformance factory loads in my 16” suppressed .308 this last weekend.

Averaged just on 2700fps and grouped like this

Will be my go to 0 - 350 odd metre hunting round from now on.

We’re over 100fps up on the Winchester power point 150gr factory loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Recently there seems to have been a lot of favourable comments regarding the extra velocity that Superformance provides over other powders in the ADI equivalent range.
    A good mate has recently bought a Ruger .308. Its a long range tactical thing that weighs a ton, and pretty sure they come with a short 18" barrel so he wants to try and squeeze a bit more velocity out of the short barrel.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any earth shattering results with a powder/projectile combo out of a .308
    Cheers
    I think you will find that the Superformance Powder that you can purchase is not the same as the factory Hornady Superformance rounds are loaded with. I looked into this a few years back and came up with this from the Hornady/Hodgdon sites, and still current today.

What calibers can I hand load or reload with Hodgdon Superformance powder?

Hornady started loading the Superformance line of ammunition in 2010. Hodgdon followed up with the introduction of a Superformance powder available for hand loaders. However, the one Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is not usable in all rifle calibers. Like all powders, it has a particular burn rate and will work great in some cases, OK in others and should not be used in the rest. A hand loader wouldn't think of using Varget or Retumbo in all their calibers from 17 Hornet to 375 H&H. Neither should they think of Superformance in that way.

Hornady uses commercial-grade Superformance powders of varying burn rates and also blends powders to offer a full line of Superformance cartridges. The Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is one particular burn rate that does well in some short magnum cartridges along with some others, which are listed in their load data and also in the latest editions of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.

And this from the Hodgdon Site on their Cal recommendations for the 1 type of powder available to the general market

22.250, 6mm c/moor, 243wssm, .25wssm, 6.5 c/moor, 260Rem, 280Rem, 3006, 300RCM, 300WSM

Doesn't mean it won't work though!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    I think you will find that the Superformance Powder that you can purchase is not the same as the factory Hornady Superformance rounds are loaded with. I looked into this a few years back and came up with this from the Hornady/Hodgdon sites, and still current today.

What calibers can I hand load or reload with Hodgdon Superformance powder?

Hornady started loading the Superformance line of ammunition in 2010. Hodgdon followed up with the introduction of a Superformance powder available for hand loaders. However, the one Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is not usable in all rifle calibers. Like all powders, it has a particular burn rate and will work great in some cases, OK in others and should not be used in the rest. A hand loader wouldn't think of using Varget or Retumbo in all their calibers from 17 Hornet to 375 H&H. Neither should they think of Superformance in that way.

Hornady uses commercial-grade Superformance powders of varying burn rates and also blends powders to offer a full line of Superformance cartridges. The Superformance powder that Hodgdon sells is one particular burn rate that does well in some short magnum cartridges along with some others, which are listed in their load data and also in the latest editions of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading.

And this from the Hodgdon Site on their Cal recommendations for the 1 type of powder available to the general market

22.250, 6mm c/moor, 243wssm, .25wssm, 6.5 c/moor, 260Rem, 280Rem, 3006, 300RCM, 300WSM

Doesn't mean it won't work though!
    IIRC I was told there are around 40 Super Performance Powder blends & as you mentioned only one is available through Hogdon

On the burn rate chart I looked at Superformance was a bit slower burning than AR 2213 SC so I think it may be a bit slow burning for the 308, it's working great for me in the 270 Win and 3006.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Yup - larger surface area for the burn given its closer to a ball cut powder style than a longer stick one of its stable mates usual for the 308 - hence faster burn and faster FPS...

Thinking about using this for the 308 with 110 Hornady flat bases as its currently a (Very) compressed load in some brass like the Outback Factory OSA brass that holds less than normal and struggles with a full load. Will need to dial back a bit too by the looks.

CD.
    This was pulling projectiles from 308 super performance factory ammo for 308 with 150 grainers, was more grey and smaller ball style than both 2206h or super performance in the reloader line. So I think Gregs smack on the money there... lots of different 'superperformance' brews that the one the reloader can buy....

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    On the burn rate chart I looked at Superformance was a bit slower burning than AR 2213 SC so I think it may be a bit slow burning for the 308, it's working great for me in the 270 Win and 3006.
    Yea that, I havent loaded SF in 308 but would think it too slow burning for the lighter weight projectiles, hey even 2208 is getting on the too slow side for the lighter weight 30 cal projectiles.

Id be looking 2206h and H335 but am far from any kind of expert.
    Carpe Diem and Mooseman like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yup 30calterry and I have used 2206h previously but even then a compressed load of 49gr from memory.

CD

Superperformance is fantastic for the 6.5 Creed, but for 308 you'll struggle to beat CFE223 especially for mid weight pills 130-180gr

Quote Originally Posted by Bos View Post
    Cheers
    Out of curiosity, what’s the intended use for the rifle?

Presumably as a long ranger/gong gun?

If yes, can he return the rifle for a refund?

Short barrel, low velocity combined with a ballistically ‘challenged’ calibre choice is a recipe for frustration. Superperformce, or any powder for that matter is not going to offset the handicaps already present.

Assuming of course that it is intended as a long ranger.
    BRADS and Beetroot like this.