Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By ebf

Thread: 308 Win long range Guru's

308 Win long range Guru's

Hello Guys

I've been shooting a Lithgow 308 that I acquired - supposedly as a donor action, but its shooting well and is very nice to use as a 308, so now I'm thinking it might have to stay as a 308 . . .

I'll mainly use it for range shooting here, but it has a great dialing scope on it, so it can double as a gong rifle (hopefully to 12-1500M??) and maybe occasionally for long range plinking at Wallabies and Goats (500M for me)

So I've been trying to decide which projectiles to run. It has a 1:11 twist, and the Aussies have found that the LA102's usually like 165's or heavier, barrel is a bit of a limitation at only 22".

I have run quite a few scenario's in Quickload and pulled the data through to Quicktarget. Most of the common projectiles in the "reasonable price"bracket (like ELDX's in 165 and 178 and others of similar ilk) seem to go subsonic at a bit over 1000 yards, with no real advantage to either weight.

Is 1000 about the limit of a 308 for gong shooting or am I missing something ??

sneakywaza I got
    155 TMK. There is no limit............there is no spoon........ there is no try..........
    mimms2 likes this.

ebf
    Much as people kill to beat up the 308, do a quick search on "match shooting" and you will see the humble 308 being used quite effectively out to 1200 yards and beyond.

I used 185s for FTR, they are just about the perfect middle ground between BC and wind bucking characteristics, and ease of tuning. With the heavy monsters 208 & 230 recoil management, especially off abipod becomes the key factor.

And don't get too hung up on twist theory. I had a 12 twist Lilja barrel that magically stabilised 185's, go figure...
    zimmer likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute