Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By tikka

Thread: 30cal subs 151gr HP cast and Lehigh 168gr CF update

30cal subs 151gr HP cast and Lehigh 168gr CF update

It's probably more relevant here than the hunting/and hunting stories part of the forum as there has been a lot of questions on 30cal subs lately. After lots of load development and range work on paper, steel and balloons it's time for real world performance.

Past few trips have been smacking a few goats over with the cast 151gr HP (34) and having good clean kills on body shots. They punch straight through shoulder blades on goats. I would not hesitate on shooting a deer within 60m from what I have seen so far from these cast bullets. Have recover one bullet from a dirt bank after a through and through on a young nanny. The only downside is that my Tikka 300 blackout won't mag feed them because they are too blunt hitting side of the chamber, a different gun or cartridge 308 and 7.62x39 may feed better from a magazine.

Lehigh Defence 168gr CF, awesome performance from them, killed 9 goats and a red stag and a hind. It's like a small shotgun going off inside the body. I haven't shot a deer through the shoulder with them yet, only broadside rib lung.
    Downside of these bullets is cost but hay you get what you pay for and one bullet can get you a lot of meat.

300aac Blackout made from LC 223 brass
    Federal #205 primers
    ADI ar2205 powder

One many goats with the 151gr HP casts.

9 point red taken with a 168gr Controlled fracturing through the lungs and spine from a up hill shot at 65m. I wound not of seen this stag if it wasn't for the dog winding onto him.

300 Blackout, Only two bits recovered from the controlled fracturing on the stag and a cast hollow point from a goat I couldn't be bothered digging more bullets out some of the goats.

I'm having the same problem with the lead cast polls not feeding properly from the pills being to blunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry using tikka 308.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they feed piece of piss through a cheap norinco/bisley lmfao.

They wont feed reliably in my mod 7 308
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

How do you work out trail boss loads for 308 with these?
    Warm Barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    How do you work out trail boss loads for 308 with these?
    ask...... somewhere between 6.5 and 9grns of trail boss will be the right amount for you. start high and work your way down.