Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bagheera

Thread: .338 Lapua Brass

.338 Lapua Brass

I am getting organised to reload 338LM. The rifle I purchased came with a mixture of once fired brass. The majority of it is T stamped. I could be wrong is this made by the Swiss for military use? All the info around says if your going to reload use Lapua Brass ok got a box of that. The question is has anyone used the T stamped stuff for reloading. It seems to be quite consistent for weight. I could work up a load and use it for practicing and keep the Lapua for matches.

Also is there anyone out there who has fired Lapua brand brass that is not required I am figuring 100 will not be quite enough so would like to get some more. On the same topic I would like to sell the 52 Hornady brass that came with the rifle any takers?

Thanks guys

Hi Dermastor,

I don't shoot 338 and don't know about T brass so sorry can't help with your main question.
    But, seeing the price of Lapua 338 brass I know why you only laid in 100 to start with ! As an ongoing expense it must be comparable to buying new barrels.

Using a second brand of brass, hopefully with economical projectiles, could be good for practising positional shooting at short (300m) range, which you will no doubt want to do. I started with 140 brass for my 7mm08 which allowed me to split it into two sets, used alternately and keep track of reloading them all the same number of times. I could shoot matches up to 40 rounds with a single reload batch. Otherwise, load the T and Hornady up as a reserve for the black sheep apocalypse
    WallyR likes this.

I haven’t used any of the T brass but I’ve heard it’s pretty good. I only use the lapua brass because it is thicker at the base and can handle what the lapua is designed for. 100 is plenty of brass for match shooting. Use the T for a practice round. I am only shooting the 285 eldm because my rifle pushes it a bit harder than the 300 Berger and is faster at 2km. I only ever shoot my 338 for elr between 1 and 2km. Use a 300 for matches. If you want a match load for shooting to 1400 there is not much difference between using the 250 and 300 lapua scenars and are generally really easy to get accurate and are a lot cheaper ($130 per 100) compared to ($180 per 100) for the eldm and Berger. The wind and drop grow between the Berger and lapua past 1400 because of BC. But under that there is stuff all between them. The 250 have a bit less recoil too.

The 3 i have found with T headstamp are Spain switzerland and russia if this helps

Thanks guys for the info, I am pretty much going to do what you are Cowboy but will be shooting the 250gr Berger not the 300gr. There is a little wind advantage with the 300gr but not enough to bother me. I will as you say try the T brass for practice as you do.

Did you shoot with your brother at the last alpine long range shoot. I think you were in my squad. Jeremy, Browning a bolt made in 6.5x47
    If you find the bergers twitchy as some do I think the lapua are quite easy to shoot good. The 285 shoots really in my hs precision well but John and bob couldn’t get them to shoot in the dta so they stayed with the 300 Berger.

Yup that's me, I spoke to Bob they are shooting 250 Sierras I think I will be shooting the same rifle as Bobs Savage but with a Hardy 30" barrel he has given me his recipe as a starting point. I had thought about the 285 they have a good BC. If you are prepared to share your load I will give them a try thanks

My hs precision is a 1 in 9. 26” I get 2850 with the 285’s with 95 grains of 2225 in lapua brass with federal 215m primers. I would be starting somewhere around 91 though. All the other guys are are shooting the 300’s at about 92.5gr. I think John is running the 300 Berger. I only suggested the lapua because they are pretty easy and not jump sensitive. I will check my coal it’s full mag length. Nick and I are about to start training o his new range for the nz records at shenley in August. Ranges from 1500 to 3 km. You have to go cold bore 3 for 3 on a 1m sq target. Nick managed 2 from 5 with his 50 the other day at 2km. I tried the month previous and got none. We had a norwester gusting left and right every shot. Some really good wind shears and boils on his new range. Awesome to learn wind calling there.
    Johns shoot at Reefton next weekend so should be fun.
    Good deal for you guys in Auckland getting a Long distance range. You need a lot of land for that.