Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 35 Whelen

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

35 Whelen

Does anyone know if making brass for 35 whelen is as easy as sizing 30 06 brass through the whelen sizer,
    I've looked about but there seems to me conflicting tales.
    Anyone done it
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

a favorite of a cobber whos not a member. He says use a Hornady 338 neck die then 35h whelen sizer.
    jakewire and stevodog like this.

Cool. Always wanted one.
    jakewire likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yeah. seems accurate some when in between my 30 06 and 9.3 x62.but with good distance/trajectory on the 9.3 { not better though}
    Probably go for a 220 -225 bullet
    been thinking bout it for a long time
    Shearer and csmiffy like this.

Did a lot 30 years ago was one pass with plenty of lube using RCBS dies. That was back in the days when Whelen brass was like hens teeth and twice as dear.
    Just have to check that the expander on your die has a long taper
    Moa Hunter likes this.

35 Whelen

Jake, I’ve been shooting one for 25 years. A Really accurate cartridge.

Yes you can just run new 06 brass through the FLS die and your good to go. I use a Lyman die. Fairly tapered expander. Case will be a tad short but no issues and no trimming. You have to be really careful not to move the shoulder back if you go this way or you will get misfires.

You can get Norma .35W brass for an ok price but new WW .30 06, .270 and .308 brass is $40/100 from Cleavers at present.

For powders from ADI you can use 2208 and 2206h. However the king of powders for this case is RL15. The new RL powders like 16 maybe good too?

With RL15 you can get 2500+ fps with a 250 gn, 2650 with a 225 gn and ~2800 with a 200 gn Sierra RN. Your about 200 fps behind a .338 WM and flatter than a 9.3 x 62. Effective to 300m.

I like the 225 TSX in my rifle. The 200 TTSX is good on big game also.

For play, paper and hogs try the 225 Sierra SPBT or 180 gn .357 mag pistol projectiles.

Happy hunting.
    jakewire, Shearer and Woody like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Why not just buy new 35 Whelan brass?

That what I did . I neck expand '06 brass for my 338-06 to avoid mixing loads with the Whelan .
    Cheers Muzza, Yip These days of tightening ship.wife etc.
    I have like 400 once fired 30 06 and a spare Husky 1640 action so was hoping to make use of them both easily and as said would like something around 225 weight without buying a 338.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Jake, I’ve been shooting one for 25 years. A Really accurate cartridge.

Yes you can just run new 06 brass through the FLS die and your good to go. I use a Lyman die. Fairly tapered expander. Case will be a tad short but no issues and no trimming. You have to be really careful not to move the shoulder back if you go this way or you will get misfires.

You can get Norma .35W brass for an ok price but new WW .30 06, .270 and .308 brass is $40/100 from Cleavers at present.

For powders from ADI you can use 2208 and 2206h. However the king of powders for this case is RL15. The new RL powders like 16 maybe good too?

With RL15 you can get 2500+ fps with a 250 gn, 2650 with a 225 gn and ~2800 with a 200 gn Sierra RN. Your about 200 fps behind a .338 WM and flatter than a 9.3 x 62. Effective to 300m.

I like the 225 TSX in my rifle. The 200 TTSX is good on big game also.

For play, paper and hogs try the 225 Sierra SPBT or 180 gn .357 mag pistol projectiles.

Happy hunting.
    Thanks for that Dicko, just the stuff I need.

Jakewire, Do it.
    It would be a neat project. Many many moons ago i was going to do one and even rang Mr Blenkarne to commission the build but he refused ! He was just starting trueflite barrel making and didnt have .35cal tooling.
    Funny thing is i did a build like this just before xmas but as a .338 fan i did a .338/06 ackley imp and ironically Trueflite did it for me. I highly recommend them.
    jakewire and Avopik like this.

I know a few fellow's with one here in Canada, all seam pretty happy, with their choice, I like my .358 win, and its running 200fps less, with any bullet that the Whelen does.
    I was real keen, on the Remington CDL stainless, LTD in .35 Whelen, but didn't have the cash, when they where about, (2016). only seen one come up for sale.
    Ive got a NOE 225gr .35cal mould, and a thousand .35 gas checks, if you get it built, I lend you a mould, to cast up sum Boolit's,
    jakewire likes this.

Thanks all

go classic-318 Westly Richards-330 cal though not 338. Woodleigh do projectiles.
    use 3006 cases
    jakewire likes this.

Greetings,
    Made .358 win brass from .308 years ago for my sons .358 with no problems. Only use new brass for forming though, never fired brass. My son also got some .358 loads from Belmont with reformed military cases. The Whelen should be the same. Make absolutely sure not to set the shoulder back though. From memory I just ran the expander button through the neck and back out again, didn't resize the case.
    Grandpamac.
    jakewire and ZQLewis like this.

as gandpamac says,
    I did 308 win winchster brass to 358 win no problems at all.
    last year i was able to pick up some Starline brass in 358win.

It shoots the 357 cal hornady 158 gr xtp pistol bullets really well at 50 mtr for plinking (clover leaf).
    and the 220 hp lead bullets did a number on a nice sika hind recently at 40 mtr.

ps if you have a source for the sierra GameKing 35 cal 225 gr bullets please let me knowm
    Z

Ive a factory chambered 35 whelen , Ruger hawkeye mkii flavour...
    Its in Aus but its for sale an can be arranged to NZ for minimal fuss..

Private message to discuss