Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 375 H&H, projectiles for NZ

375 H&H, projectiles for NZ

After a bit of advice on which projectiles I should start with and what benefits there are in each, please.

I知 keen on the Nosler Accubond and Partition in either 260 or 300 grain. I壇 like something that値l get me to 400-500yds but most of my hunting I like getting in close.

Check out Terminal Ballistics Research https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...nd+Magnum.html
    Micky Duck and WallyR like this.

@Kiwi Greg had some 235gr hotcors screaming along and accuracy was very good too.

I personally had a good run with the hornady 270gr projectiles, they were doing 2700 out of the 375 ruger so not too different to the 375h&h.

I have only shot targets with my ones so can't comment on terminal performance

It really depends what you are wanting to shoot with it, a Red Deer or Pig would want a softer projectile than say a Wild Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Benfransham View Post
    After a bit of advice on which projectiles I should start with and what benefits there are in each, please.

I’m keen on the Nosler Accubond and Partition in either 260 or 300 grain. I’d like something that’ll get me to 400-500yds but most of my hunting I like getting in close.
    I hear your old man has brought himself a new rifle too.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I知 keen on the Nosler Accubond and Partition in either 260 or 300 grain. I壇 like something that値l get me to 400-500yds but most of my hunting I like getting in close.
    Whilst those projectiles are the pick of the bunch BC wise they're too stout for the soft skin game we have here. As an all rounder that will open up you're probably better to go with a good old cup and core soft point.
    Kiwi Greg, mikee and 300_BLK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Whilst those projectiles are the pick of the bunch BC wise they're too stout for the soft skin game we have here. As an all rounder that will open up you're probably better to go with a good old cup and core soft point.
    What about the Sierra 200gr? Initially I値l only be shooting as far as my Aimpoint can get me, don稚 have the disposable money to scope it up nicely just yet!!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I hear your old man has brought himself a new rifle too.
    He has, just got to get him out to use it now. Been planning something together but both our jobs combined make it damned near impossible!
    outdoorlad likes this.

What about the Sierra 200gr? Initially I’ll only be shooting as far as my Aimpoint can get me, don’t have the disposable money to scope it up nicely just yet!!
    They're designed for calibres like 375winchester etc at slow to moderate speeds they're fine but at h&h velocities they'll come apart. Try looking at the 225gr Hornadys, 235gr hotcor speers or 270gr Hornady sp.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    They're designed for calibres like 375winchester etc at slow to moderate speeds they're fine but at h&h velocities they'll come apart.
    I'm hoping that, got some to try

I understand they a fair aggressive at 375 Wsm velocities @mikee

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I'm hoping that, got some to try

I understand they a fair aggressive at 375 Wsm velocities @mikee
    200gn sierra +3000fps = 8 inch hole in neck/shoulder junction that you can actually look thru!! Deer never even moved. I am now trying 250ttsx but i think they will be a bit tough as the best speed i can get is 2700 and that is really pushing it
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

They were not that accurate compared to the ttsx either.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

If only using a scope that keeps you fairly close, you could use heavy gas checked projectiles at lower velocities or the Sierra 200gr. With a 200 or 300gr pill even at 1500- 2000fps it is going to be like a flying hammer when it hits..But I will admit, downloading a large cal like the 375 is not why you bought a 375...
    300winmag, john m and Benfransham like this.

I shoot 300gr norma oryx out of mine at 2550 fps on rabbits to deer drops every animal on the spot. Tried 270gr 1.5" at 100, 300gr 0.7" at 100 I take accuracy over speed any day.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

I've never shot anything over 200 yds with mine. Using 280gr Woodleigh handloads and just boxed 300 grainers.
    Dropped shitloads of pigs, dingo's, donkeys, horses and Buff.
    Runs at around 2600 by memory.
    Blows bloody big holes in things, like the Kill Bill movies actually.
    timattalon likes this.