Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By 10-Ring

Thread: 38Win brass and neck bushing

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

38Win brass and neck bushing

Hey team. I'm looking to reload for my 308Win. I've typically used only Lapua and Norma brass with Lapua being the best price I can find. Are there others worth considering?
    I also like neck bushing dies. Likely Redding Type S to buy.
    Online suggests no turn brass in Lapua is wanting 0.336/7" with a loaded neck of 0.338". Sound okay?
    Keen to hear if there's anything that works well for others that I may have not considered. Please don't say Lee.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Lee. Lee. Lee. Lee

I have a whidden bushing die with neck expander. Interesting when sizing Norma brass the neck expander does nothing, you cant "feel" the neck expander working but with Peterson brass you can feel it doing its thing. So I guess the actual bushing required depends quite a bit on the brass thickness assuming you are not neck turning

I reload Lapua Palma 308 brass.
    To get the proper bush size measure your loaded round case neck diameter and subtract 0.002"
    For me that is a bushing of 334 or 335 depending on the projectile to be loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I reload Lapua Palma 308 brass.
    To get the proper bush size measure your loaded round case neck diameter and subtract 0.002"
    For me that is a bushing of 334 or 335 depending on the projectile to be loaded.
    You are neck turning then?
    I understand the process but there's a bit of a horse and cart scenario here. I can't measure a loaded round until I have size cased but, I can't size a case till I know the loaded neck size.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

How serious about the brass are you? I have a heap that was given to me, not sure on times fired but can give you sone free. Lapua of course
    Last edited by Gibo; 03-09-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Could fl size em for ta too if that helped

Thank you. That would be awesome. I'll message you and arrange to sort something for exchange.
    Gibo likes this.

Not what you want but heres 2c worth anyways

I have used bushing dies in a few calibers, Wilson ones, Whidden ones, Forster ones ( they are a pain as they are different than evreyone elses ) In line styles and Redding. They all do a good job, but you do get that little donut at the base of the neck, not really a drama if you load long bullets anyways.
    All this has been on hunting style rifles and the accuracy has been teriffic, definitely sub MOA and usually 1/2 that.

I tried the Lee mandrel idea in a .260 and hated it so went back to bushing dies, I have tried the Lee style again now in 308 and it seems to be fine, 1/2 MOA out to 600 yds if I do my bit. Time will tell but for now I like them.
    I think the secret ( for me anyways ) is to leave it set up in the press and never ever move it, unless of course if you start using brass of different wall thickness
    Upgrading to a turret press has helped with not having to change shit out.

I would rate the Whidden above the others, as their micrometer seater is very nice to use.
    The Wilson Sizing die is a nice bushing die too but I dont think they do a seater to match it ( look at BRT shooting in Au they sell the Wilson for about $110 AU I havent seen anyone in NZ selling them yet.
    Last edited by johnd; 05-09-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Wilson do produce a seating die and it is the perfect machine - simple, single purpose, foolproof. The bullet can be pressed down into the neck by hand and any change in pressure due to something wrong with the neck tension is obvious. For straight ammo, the Wilson is the way to go. They are available from Sinclair International in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Wilson do produce a seating die and it is the perfect machine - simple, single purpose, foolproof. The bullet can be pressed down into the neck by hand and any change in pressure due to something wrong with the neck tension is obvious. For straight ammo, the Wilson is the way to go. They are available from Sinclair International in the USA.
    I was meaning a die that goes into a press like all the others, but yes they sell Wilson in line dies in NZ too @ work shop innovation. They just dont do one that pairs up with their full length bushing die like this https://lewilson.com/wilson-full-len...-bushing-type/

38Win brass and neck bushing

I’ve purchased a Redding Type S neck die. Got a Wilson 334 bush that for now will work.
    Seater die is a Forster Ultra. For FL sizing I have a body die for my 7-08 that should work if the necks not too small. I’d like to one day get an arbor press and some Wilson seating does. For now I’ll stick with what I have.
    All from Workshop Innovation. Always good to deal with
    johnd likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I use a .336 bushing on Lapua .308 brass. Have used a .335 bushing which of course, increases neck tension but accuracy isn't as good in two different Sako rifles.
    kiwijames likes this.

Grabbed my micrometer rather than digi vernier and measured a few seated cases. Lapua brass gave 0.3375" to 0.3365". If was a little lumpier than expected but it's a hunting rifle so really is not a biggie. I'm going to use a 0.335" bush from here and see how things go. I took second in one of our DA shoots today with the current load using 334 bush ( not much to skite about though as there were only three shooters and the guy who came 3rd is a better shot than me usually).