Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 416 ruger

Banned

416 ruger

Anyone load for one of these?
    Seems Re 15 is the go too for the 350,400 gn bullets
    I've been looking for a lighter bullet,something that might start to expand on a deer/pig sized target.
    maybe it makes no difference with this cal projectile.
    180 or 220 gn raptors look like what I'm after,who's got some?here
    https://cuttingedgebullets.com/416-1...at-base-raptor

What about the 350gr speer grand slams.
    Bugger all cheap bullets for 416.
    The few things I've shot with barnes coppers drop well and they were lower vel fire forming loads. That's in a 416 rem mag
    Just remember you are starting with something that is already the diameter of smaller cals when they mushroom

I agree sort of but we are not talking about a black powder rifle. We are talking about a one of the smaller dangerous game calibres that can punch out a 350gr 416 cal projectile at up to 2700fps if so desired but at the expense of some robust recoil for general use and wanting it to work on smallish game.
    Instead of trying to make something perform with light for calibre projectiles with low sd and bc compared to the normal ones just stick what it can do and do well.
    Load up a projectile that works and if the game is a bit light for it the diameter will do the work even if we drop the power a bit for comfort
    Hit something bigger and then it will do what it should
    The number if animals I've shot with my 416 is limited but the one stag I shot dropped like a stone with a pretty basic chest shot that didnt really touch much. No kicking no fuss. The projectile definitely didnt expand much and certainly didnt transfer all of its energy. It took it at a slight angle and came out the offside ribs
    It was a classic example of why some of the older generation liked bigger calibres
    The cattle beasts I got on the other hand did soak up the energy and it was an eye opener how far these things can drive. And this was a low power load
    These are not the ideal nz calibre I'll admit