Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 44 mag AP70 loads

44 mag AP70 loads

Any tips on which projectile to use as a small game load for my Rossi Lever action 44mag?got 240g xtp bullets here and have some AP70 on the way.thinking 240g round nose cast ,got some ages ago but can’t remember where from.Want to stay subsonic but still enough poke to kill hares out to 50m. Thanks

Most any pistol powders would do the job surely? Titegroup, N320, etc etc You still out the bottom left hand side of the tron?

A starting load of AP70 with a cast 240 SWC is listed at 927fps from a 20" barrel? Easy to check
    outlander likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

My AP70 load of 9 grains is supersonic, instead I use 7 grains of Trailboss for subsonic loads.

Both loaded under 240 grain flat point lead projectile, rather than wasting an expensive XTP (I cast my own as have access to free lead, but there is a guy on TradeMe who has a steller reputation!). I have found the flat point dropped game better than a round nose.

Probably just pushed them over! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Basenjiboy View Post
    My AP70 load of 9 grains is supersonic, instead I use 7 grains of Trailboss for subsonic loads.

Both loaded under 240 grain flat point lead projectile, rather than wasting an expensive XTP (I cast my own as have access to free lead, but there is a guy on TradeMe who has a steller reputation!). I have found the flat point dropped game better than a round nose.
    The starting load is listed at 6.5 - 927 fps, with max listed at 10.2 - 1374, so your load would seem to be super, yes. Dial it back a bit, you'll be safe at subsonic speeds
    outlander likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

16in barrel on the wee Rossi,don’t think Robert from tokoroa does a 240g bullet though,his 280g flat nose might be the way to go.i have trailboss but have heard the velocity spread is less with the AP70and the trail boss is really dirty burning,was like a black powder load in my other 44,had to wait for the smoke to clear to see if I had hit what I was aiming at and would sometimes go supersonic on me.

Great information!
    My marlin is also 16 inch (down from the normal 20).

I have only used the AP70 load when hunting, the trailboss load was for Cowboy Action Shooting.

Banned
    My 44Mag sub load is 7.6 gr of AS50 with a 300gr pill. Spread is 3fps from mean. I tried AP70 with 300's but there was too much spread. It might work for 240's
    outlander likes this.

I use 2205 with 240g xtp as my Deer hunting load at the moment.kills deer well.

I have a 14” .44 Rem Mag running the 240gr XTP at 1050fps with 7.8gr of AP70N.

Deadly pig killer, good for all sorts. Obviously hares won’t stand a chance...
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    16in barrel on the wee Rossi,don’t think Robert from tokoroa does a 240g bullet though,his 280g flat nose might be the way to go.i have trailboss but have heard the velocity spread is less with the AP70and the trail boss is really dirty burning,was like a black powder load in my other 44,had to wait for the smoke to clear to see if I had hit what I was aiming at and would sometimes go supersonic on me.
    I have a 215Grain HP for the 44/40 would probably kill a hare, no GC but good for 1200- 1300fps
    Micky Duck likes this.

sounds ideal.....for allsorts of stuff...poking holes in hares being just one of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I have a 14” .44 Rem Mag running the 240gr XTP at 1050fps with 7.8gr of AP70N.

Deadly pig killer, good for all sorts. Obviously hares won’t stand a chance...
    So the AP70N does work ok with the 240's then. I have a new bottle for sale if anyone is interested. The AS50 works very well with the 300 gr Nosler HP

Quote Originally Posted by Basenjiboy View Post
    Great information!
    My marlin is also 16 inch (down from the normal 20).

I have only used the AP70 load when hunting, the trailboss load was for Cowboy Action Shooting.
    What have you hunted with the cast and AP70?how well did they perform?

Got the powder and placed an order with Robert for 100 of his 280g Cast flat points,gonna be interesting,determined to hunt deer with the big thumpers as well as subs for the smaller stuff.