Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .44 Mag Crimping

2-7x33. I'm liking it so far. It's not much heavier than the red dot I had on there. Great little guns with possibly the nicest factory trigger I've ever used.
    WillB likes this.

Banned
    AS others have said, you are not crimping into the crimp groove of the bullet. Do your flare so you can seat the bullet, but remember you only need enough flare to just get the bullet started. With a jacketed bullet you really don't need much.

I saw that you are loading with 2205. It is necessary to have a good solid crimp when using 2205 so you get a proper burn. So seat the bullet so the top edge of the case mouth fits just underneath the top edge of the bullet cannelure, and give it a heavy crimp. Ignore the shaving your getting, (if you still get it) its not going to be doing anything harmful.
    (If you get a few kernels of unburnt powder in the bore, that's fine. 2205 is just like that. It doesn't make any difference.)

Ideally - buy a Lee Crimp die. They only cost about $30. They do the best crimp, and much better easier and more accurate in getting the crimp you want than any roll crimp
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 13-11-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Hi Carlsen Highway, thanks very much for that, really helpful. I’m going to follow that advice. I tried some loads on the weekend. I got perfectly acceptable groups at 100m with the red dot. (About 1.5-2”)

9 gn of 2205 seems to be a good sub load, although with the subs I tried, velocity was quite variable - maybe a heavy crimp will help there. I started at 9.3 and went down. Nothing went supersonic and the 9gn was at 990 fps

and for the full power it’s looking like 23.5 gn 2205, at 1720 odd. Velocity was acceptably consistent (low 1709, high 1730) but maybe a heavier crimp will help there.

Oh, and the subs are really quite quiet with the DPT. I’d still wear ear pro at the range but I think in the bush a quick shot might be ok without
    Micky Duck likes this.

They'll be even quieter if you switch to a faster burning powder. AR2205 gives me a nice jet of flame - whereas Trail Boss doesn't, because it burns up in the first few inches of barrel. Less pressure at the muzzle = less work for the suppressor to do = less noise.

If you watch SmarterEveryDay on YT, he did a very interesting video lately with subsonic vs supersonic ammo. Even a subsonic bullet can make the air it's passing through go supersonic as it displaces it. When you start dropping below mach 0.8 that stops happening and things will get even quieter.

It's just a shame the 1:20 twist doesn't stabilise the 300gr pills very well at those kind of speeds.
    WillB likes this.

Why do you want 300grain projectiles? My 280 grain cast bullets will shoot through a pig at 100 metres with a muzzle velocity of 900 fps
    and kill them on the spot, another 20 grains won't improve on that.

Quote Originally Posted by PommyMcPomFace View Post
    They'll be even quieter if you switch to a faster burning powder. AR2205 gives me a nice jet of flame
    Whoops didn't make myself clear there - that's 9 gn of Trail Boss for the subs! Interesting about the .8 mach thing, I might try to go for that, get a load at around 850 fps? Would be, what, I guess 50m max for shooting goats or deer.

They'll be even quieter if you switch to a faster burning powder. AR2205 gives me a nice jet of flame - whereas Trail Boss doesn't, because it burns up in the first few inches of barrel. Less pressure at the muzzle = less work for the suppressor to do = less noise.

If you watch SmarterEveryDay on YT, he did a very interesting video lately with subsonic vs supersonic ammo. Even a subsonic bullet can make the air it's passing through go supersonic as it displaces it. When you start dropping below mach 0.8 that stops happening and things will get even quieter.

It's just a shame the 1:20 twist doesn't stabilise the 300gr pills very well at those kind of speeds.
    Shape of bullet has something to do with that. Given equal subsonic / trans-sonic velocities, a spire pointed boat-tail bullet will have less surrounding supersonic waves than a round/flat-nose bullet will. Unfortunately, at subsonic velocities it's generally desirable to have more meplat / flat nose to aid energy transfer / expansion.
    Moa Hunter and WillB like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Right at subsonic velocity sharp pointy boat-tail bullets are useless, If head shots are the order of the day it does not matter what is used,
    for sure kills on animals inside 150 metres the bigger the meplat the better.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

What kind of grouping do you get with them? I've read it kind of goes to shit with the super heavies due to not having a fast enough twist.

that's a great vid btw. Just watched it. thanks!

What kind of grouping do you get with them? I've read it kind of goes to shit with the super heavies due to not having a fast enough twist.
    I don't shoot them only have a 44/40 pistol they are to big for that, A mate uses them in an H&R with a 1:38" gets around an 1" groups at 50m.
    bigest problem is the bore diameter they vary from .429" to .432" modern .44 mags have 1:20" twists and will handle 300 grain jacketed bullets
    Cast bullets are short for their weight they don't have the jacket which is lighter than lead, also they are softer and reduce pressure with the same powder charge
    and won't wear the barre.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    I don't shoot them only have a 44/40 pistol they are to big for that, A mate uses them in an H&R with a 1:38" gets around an 1" groups at 50m.
    bigest problem is the bore diameter they vary from .429" to .432" modern .44 mags have 1:20" twists and will handle 300 grain jacketed bullets
    Cast bullets are short for their weight they don't have the jacket which is lighter than lead, also they are softer and reduce pressure with the same powder charge
    and won't wear the barre.
    How fast will you push one of your .30 / .303 cast gas checked 204grain boolits, and with what powder?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Best accuracy with cast is around the 1800-1900fps with the Alloy I use, If I source some antinomy and am super careful 3000fps
    is possible it has been done in the US, But they are no good for hunting just like FMJ's straight through or shatter,
    I prefer to make bullets for hunting much easier,
    Powder choice is easy 2206H and 2208 start at 27.00 and work up just go for the best accuracy the HP's will expand at 900fps
    the solids 1300fps,

I hate seating dies with grimp built in i much prefer backing the seating die off till it doesn’t crimp then I just run the rounds though a Dedicated crimp die the lee factory crimp dose an awesome job and cheap die to buy
    As an extra for your set
    rossi.45 likes this.