Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: .444 Marlin - anyone casting / loading for this?

.444 Marlin - anyone casting / loading for this?

I have a 444 barrel on the way for an Encore.. interested to see what molds you are using in the 260 - 300gr range.

Also interested in data for jacketed as well. Cheers.

What size bullet dose it shoot 45 .458?

.429 - .430 normally. Same as a .44 Mag. Jacketed projectiles need to be of stronger construction than .44 Mag to stay together on game @ 2200ish fps vs. 1600ish fps for the Mag.

Not a 444 I know but I had a marlin 3030 with a microgroove barrel and it was deadly accurate with jacketed bullets but hopeless with cast ones. I believe the ballard rifling is the style you want if shooting cast bullets.

Yeah I have heard the Microgroove system wasnt ideal for cast. Fortunately the TC Encore is a 1/20 twist standard rifling barrel. Fine for cast or jacketed.

I have some 280 grain FP gas checked .430" for sale on TM or you can buy direct 50 at $15.00 100 at $30.00 plus freight also available are 270 and 260 grain HP's

Thanks for that. Will PM you when I get setup.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    You might struggle to get it grouping with heavy 240+ pills in a 1 in 20 aye, but no harm in trying
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Na mate the .444 is usually 1/20 (though the Microgroove Marlins were 1/38"). Folk are using 300-400gr no prob in 1/20. Not so the 1/38"!

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Chur, that bit more puff must help aye, cool cartridge
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    Yeah I have heard the Microgroove system wasnt ideal for cast. Fortunately the TC Encore is a 1/20 twist standard rifling barrel. Fine for cast or jacketed.
    there is a persistant rumour that microgroove barrels dont work for cast bullets, it just wont go away sadly even tho there is plenty of evidence that does work . . . if you understand the proper technique.
    use a bullet at least 1 tho over groove diameter and hard enough it will work very well . . if you dont results will be crap

my .30/30 marlin is a consistant 1.5MOA using cast . . . that rifle has shot plenty of groups at 100,200,300 & once out to 400 yards & always put its bullets inside the 6 inch square, 200yrds on animals

Name:  1456783355974.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  473.8 KB

i cast some bullets for it recently with the same soft lead i use in the .45/70 it shot +3MOA with that combination
    Last edited by rossi.45; 23-01-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Cordite likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

I shoot an h&r spring feild trapdoor copy but they have a marlin micro grove barrel shoots cast bullets fine at least to 450 most I’ve shot it to so far
    rossi.45 likes this.

Soft cast bullets will shoot ok no need for real hard lead even straight wheel weights are too hard for hunting bullets if you want expansion
    bullet fit to barrel is the most important the fatter the better if the loaded round will chamber with a little clearance for the neck to expand
    when fired you are good to go the soft lead will swage to the barrel dimensions sealing the bore, with gas checks and a good bullet lube fouling
    won't be a problem work the load up until you get pressure signs or lead fouling then back off a little accuracy will drop off before that

I have a .429 215gr double cavity mold that is surplus to my requirements. It’s a gas checked design so would make a good HV bullet for the .444

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Soft cast bullets will shoot ok no need for real hard lead even straight wheel weights are too hard for hunting bullets if you want expansion
    bullet fit to barrel is the most important the fatter the better if the loaded round will chamber with a little clearance for the neck to expand
    when fired you are good to go the soft lead will swage to the barrel dimensions sealing the bore, with gas checks and a good bullet lube fouling
    won't be a problem work the load up until you get pressure signs or lead fouling then back off a little accuracy will drop off before that
    @shooternz . . . do you have any thoughts on microgrroove rifling for cast bullets ?
    without a picture . .. it never happened !