Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By bluecod1967

Thread: 45 colt mold wanted 200gn

45 colt mold wanted 200gn

hi im after a 45lc mold 200gn i have few sets of dies to trade and cash cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bluecod1967 View Post
    I think you are going to have trouble finding a 200 grain .45 Colt mould just about all .45 cal moulds under 235 grains are for the .45 A.C.P
    the .45 Colt moulds generally start at 240 grains, If you are shooting a Rifle you do have to have a crimp groove; a Revolver not needed with target loads
    but a good idea for normal to hot loads, Some of the Mould makers make a 230 grain for the Cowboy action crowd, I have one and an old Ideal mould
    that casts the original style bullet, Why use a 200 grain bullet? your throat will be cut for the original 250/255 bullet.

Got a 90697 lee if your interested, new last year but not quite what I wanted

@shooternz hello i have 2 uberti rifles im using a lyman 454424 260 gn bullet but its to long if i ust the crimp groove for the uberti 73 and 66 i have so i thought i would try get a 45468 but i have made a dummy round up with the 454424 today and seated it to were it will feed and ill taper crimp just on the front driving band shout work only standard loads not hot loads whats your thoughts on this idea cheers ken

@NZ32 pm sent

@longshot seen that too much out the front of the bullet i think cheers

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    For the .45 A.C.P The .45 Colt needs a crimp groove and a .454" diameter

@shooternz hello i have 2 uberti rifles im using a lyman 454424 260 gn bullet but its to long if i ust the crimp groove for the uberti 73 and 66 i have so i thought i would try get a 45468 but i have made a dummy round up with the 454424 today and seated it to were it will feed and ill taper crimp just on the front driving band shout work only standard loads not hot loads whats your thoughts on this idea cheers ken
    The Lyman 454424 was designed by Elmer Keith for the .45 Colt SA before it was chambered in Rifles the case of the modern .45 Colt was redesigned in 1909 for the Colt New Service DA Revolver
    before that they did not have a proper rim that could extract from a Rifle,
    You are probably ok with the taper crimp but check that the bullet is not pushed by recoil when the magazine tube is fully loaded,
    The 2 moulds I have are an Ideal 454190 and a Redding 230 grain Cowboy action design, I can send you some samples to try if you like
    I have both in stock,
    Cheers
    Robert.
    Micky Duck likes this.

@shooternz hi thanks for the info i gave it worked well no signs of movement 9gns herco shot were it should at 50 meters very happy with the results cheers for the offer ill be in touch thank you
    Micky Duck likes this.