Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Woody
  • 2 Post By zimmer

Thread: 4831 powder

4831 powder

I have 2.5 tins of CAC NL4831powder.
    The tins have surface rust but the powder is in good condition

I'm picking its cac re packed 4831 and with its age and the limited range of calibers being used back then it was used for .270

What's it any good for
    25-06
    ?

I'm unlikely to use it for a hunting rifle so if its sound and useful it might be ok for target practice

Just want info and advice at this stage

Name:  20191220_075827.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  977.8 KB

It is possibly the 2nd WW surplus 4831 powder repackaged from bulk war stockpiles. This was used in large calibre heavy machine guns. It was extensively marketed as 4831 by Hodgdons and more recently superceded by H4831 and AR2213. IF its the same stuff, it is a good powder in 7mm rem mags.243win, .308 mag as well.
    The above is my surmise only. Others may have better info. ( Note: It is unlikely to be the same as IMR4831, which has different charactetistics.)
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Well the price is still on the cap and it was $5.66c per tin

Pre rounding everything off to 99c
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.

Banned
    I wonder just how different it is to IMR ( Improved Military Rifle) 4831

The reloading manuals I have used all say that while they are similar, they are not to be regarded as interchangeable.
    Anyway, I think the best use for very okd powder is as lawn fertilizer.
    zimmer likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

The empty cans are collectible items on their own, I recently sold several, one was cardboard with metal ends and the others were just old metal cans...tip the powder into plastic bags and flog off the cans...the guy that bought mine doesn't mind a bit of rust....or as he says "patina"...just make sure details of the size of cans is clear...I could buy another lb of powder with what I got for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    The reloading manuals I have used all say that while they are similar, they are not to be regarded as interchangeable.
    Anyway, I think the best use for very okd powder is as lawn fertilizer.
    Beat me too it. Spread evenly out on lawn.

I had a bad experience with milsurp 4895 many years ago. Had always been stored correctly but it suddenly "off" as in popped the lid off one of the cans and was fuming vigorously. Recently tossed some 40 year old 3031 which had become acrid to the nose.

The other thing with orphan powder, although the OP does have a reasonable quantity, is once you work up a safe load, find you love it, soon it has run out and you cannot get any more.
    Puffin and johnd like this.

I used NL4831 for 243Win/75gr loads in the 1980s and 1990s . I still have some and expect to continue to use it. I believe it was supplied by CAC with a loading data sheet (don't know where the sheet is). Older data for H4831 seems to be realistic, e.g., Nick Harvey's 3rd edition, 1991, suggests for 243Win/100gr: 44gr/2700ftsec - 48gr/3050ft/sec.

All good info thanks guys

Just waiting to hear if a mate whos a high powder user wants it for practice

I believe that NL 4831 was manufactured in the 70's by Nobel's in Scotland. Hodgdons contracted Nobel's to manufacture H 4831 when the military stuff ran out about 1970. I paid $4.50 for a tin about 1981, CAC likely used it to load .270 W until they went out of business about 1980. A mate burned most of it up in his .270.
    Regards Grandpamac.

If it is going to be used, make sure it does smell 'sweet', there is apparently tons of powder around the planet, being re-packaged (and named) and sold .I have seen discussion on US-blogs, and Belmont ammo in Wangas said the same. Cool-storage is paramount

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    If it is going to be used, make sure it does smell 'sweet', there is apparently tons of powder around the planet, being re-packaged (and named) and sold .I have seen discussion on US-blogs, and Belmont ammo in Wangas said the same. Cool-storage is paramount
    Sure
    This is the real deal
    I have had it for 20 years since I was given it from the previous owner

It just doesn't suit what I shoot

243, 308, 25.06, 270, 280, 7x64, 7mm Mag, 300 Mag, 308NM, 358NM, and a few others. Will be fine if it smells ok.