Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 53 Vmax 2206H

53 Vmax 2206H

Morning gents.

I have asked this question before but didn't get many responses so thought I'd try one more time before I get into some reloading this weekend.

I have found this recipe on the Aus Hunting Forum

Federal cases
    CCI BR4 small bench rest primers
    AR2206H 25.4gn
    Hornady 53g Vmax
    COAL 2.310"

ADI do not list the 53 Vmax specifically but have other projectiles in the same weight.

Starting load with 2206H is 25gr with 27gr max on their web site also the COAL is 2.200 so how does the slightly longer 53 vmax and longer COAL 2.310 affect the pressure?

I'm gonna start from 24gr and work up to 26.5gr whilst checking all the primers on spent cases.... anyone have any real world data through the Tikka T3 specifically with this projectile?

I'm not interested in other projectiles right now and I'm keen on the BC of the 53 V-max.... I'd love to slap some Sierra 77-TMK or 75 ELD-M in it but I want something that can be mag loaded for now until it gets the love from Greg at Terminator.

Imo the different coal shouldn't make any difference, we all bugger around changing seating depth to get better accuracy, to fit a magazine, or just because we can. IN some cases you get an improvement in accuracy.
    In my 223 I use three different shaped 55 gr bullets, a hpbt, spbt, and flat base varmint. All are loaded with the same seating die setting but the coals vary from 2.25 to 2.33 due to differing ogive shapes. They all sit on 25.5 of 2206h as well and seem to work ok..
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

24.5grns of 2206 has been my go to load in .223 for years...Ive upped it to 25.5grns without issues
    24.5 suited me with all projectiles from 45-52grns as it was pleasant to shoot and nicely accurate.

I went with the 69 Sierra tmk after reading a bit more of @Thar thread on deer and the TMK

Have loaded 5 rounds of each from 24 grains up to 26 in half grain increments.
    The 25.5 and 26 needed to be sat out further so they won't fit the magazine and will be single fed.
    The Lee seating die didn't like the length of the tmk and put tiny ring dents in them so will need a solution for that... maybe micrometer seating die?
    Name:  20180225_084834.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  4.08 MB
    Last edited by SlimySquirrel; 25-02-2018 at 08:59 AM.

dont sweat the ring dents..... it wont matter to terminal preformance or accuracy.
    why did they need to be seated further out???? most powder will compress a little... the loads you are putting together must be getting up there towards if not over max pressure as you are upping powder weight and have already upped projectile weight.... BE CAREFULL
    checking adi manual you are quite a bit over as MAX for 68-70 grn is 24grns giving 2920fps

I read the adi web site for 2206h said 26 for max load?
    It says the Sierra 69 hpbt is 26 max and I've read posts where it's been used.

I didn't hear the powder being crushed but just going on the guide and wanting them a bit closer to the lands too.

Adi online guide has the 26 as compressed but didn't seem to be any resistance when seating.

The answer may be that the Latest adi manuals list individual projectiles, older ones it was one size fits all this accoounts for some variations in grains of propellent for similar weight bullets.

Interesting. I'm gonna have to find one in the flesh as I don't seem to find the specific projectile online with them.

yes and no...... the normal thing to do when reloading/developing a load is to start 10% below max and slowly work your way up....
    MH is correct go back 15years and manuals had projectile weight not brand/type interesting that my older Nick Harvey manual doesnt list 2206 load for that weight of projectile but has it for lighter weights. even with the powders he does have listed that weight of powder seems high.
    BE CAREFULL

yes those figures you read are current...26 is MAX so you not supposed to START there.

Yep. Quite right.

I've started at 24

I agree with the guys, start low and work up. I start at the lightest recommended power load and work up.
    For me it's all about accuracy, I couldn't care less about a few hundred feet per second and the animal / target won't either with precise shot placement.
    I go for max accuracy at lowest powder load.
    SlimySquirrel and Micky Duck like this.

Shot all the loads this weekend.

No real signs of pressure but just very slight cratering at 25.5 and 26. Primers were not flat and no ejector marks.

24.5 and 25.5 look to have some promise so I'll do some more development on those.

Just FYI
    Winchester once fired brass
    2206H 24 to 26 grains in .5 grain increments.
    Federal match primers
    No speeds recorded.
    Sierra 69 TMK
    Tikka .223 Super varmint 1-8 twist
    rossi.45 likes this.

I should also add that I took a goat with the TMK at 170 yds through the top of both shoulders. Worked very well but I would say that they would perform better on a large billy as it exited with no fuss.
    Also the shot was 4" higher than I get with the 55 psp from Winchester at the same range and they average 2910 in my rifle so I'm guessing the BC and potential extra speed caused this.
    They certainly had more recoil than the Winchester rounds.
    septic likes this.

look forward to seeing how the Tikka performs at longrange on the varmints
    without a picture . .. it never happened !