Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Markgibsonr25
  • 1 Post By Daggers_187
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By andyanimal31

Thread: 6.5 140 VLD Hunting

DLW

6.5 140 VLD Hunting

Any one have any experience with the 6.5 140 vld hunting down to 2000-2100fps? Or the new eldx, eldm. Particularly on red stags and bull tahr?
    Am in the process down sizing from my .300 win mag to something abit more user friendly, like the idea of a lightish 6.5x284 but after seeing a coupe of stags make 80+m with a 208gr amax thru its heat or rear lungs I'm wondering if the 6.5 will be enough.

Eldx is been a very good for me.
    BRADS likes this.

Been burning the 140gr VLDs in my creedmoor. Shot three deer so far at ranges of between 40 and 120 yards. No problems. Nothing super long range yet except a couple of goats at between 380 and 520 yards, no problems there though.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

DLW
    Cheers fellas. What speed are they running at in your creedmore Daggers_187?

the 140 VLD still has 1250-1300ft-lb of energy at this speed. This is still sufficient to kill a deer at about 475 yards.

around 1800fps give 1000ft-lbs, which is about the limit I choose for my 6.5 on deer and other larger game. This is about 650 yards for me.
    Mathias likes this.

If you can a Muzzle Vo. to 2800+, this will still have over 1000ft-lb at 850 yards(not suggest taking animals here, but shows 140gn 6.5mm bullets can be effective further than some think).

Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    Cheers fellas. What speed are they running at in your creedmore Daggers_187?
    2675 on 42 grains of 2209.

Trying out the m's tomorrow. X's were good in my rifle too. The x's produced 2890ft/s in mine so it will be interesting to see what the shorter and lighter m's will produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Trying out the m's tomorrow. X's were good in my rifle too. The x's produced 2890ft/s in mine so it will be interesting to see what the shorter and lighter m's will produce.
    what chambering?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    what chambering?

It's my 6.5x55 (regular with no turn neck) with 29" heavy palmer barrel. I just rechecked my velocities again yesterday and found the eldx doing just on 2795fps and the m's doing 2875fps. The great bit of news was that the POI was identical (less than a click anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    It's my 6.5x55 (regular with no turn neck) with 29" heavy palmer barrel. I just rechecked my velocities again yesterday and found the eldx doing just on 2795fps and the m's doing 2875fps. The great bit of news was that the POI was identical (less than a click anyway).
    that sounds about right for barrel length.
    they are a very underrated chambering except for the people that own the modern rifles and not to mention inherently accurate with those high bc pills!

Dead is better likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!