Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

6.5-284 to 284 to 6.5-284?

Hi.

I built up a 284 a while back and went down the usual route of buying Lapua 6.5-284 brass and running it through a 284 sizing die for use in the 284. I have now bought a 6.5-284 rifle and wonder whether I can size some of the fired “284” brass back down to 6.5-284. I suspect I will have to trim to length. The reason I want to do this is that Winchester brand 284 cases are now available from Gunworks so I would like to use 284 marked cases in the 284 and 6.5-284 marked cases in that rifle.

Anyone have any experience with the Winchester 284 brass that a Gunworks is selling? Any reason the current super-accuracy in my 284 could change with a change in brass? The Lapua 6.5-284 brass has been very nice and it does seem a pity to change but it is probably the safest option.

Thx Ross

There's no reason you can't resize back to what it started out as but I'd anneal before doing it. Unless you've let the cases get out of hand length-wise, they won't be over length, more the opposite as anyone who has taken .308s down to 7-08 will know.

The Winchester 284 brass works well in two 284s I load for. No noticeable difference in accuracy although you might need to tweak your load slightly compared to other brass. Biggest difference i noted was case to case weight variation in the Winchester. So I bought 100 & weight sorted into highs and lows. Keep the highs and lows separated for different loads and pills.

Thx guys