Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By FourtyFour

Thread: 6.5 cm case capacity

6.5 cm case capacity

Started load developing for my tikka strata 6.5cm. Using Berger 135 classic hunters. Using Norma brass.
    Berger website load data says they're getting 49.8 gn of reloader 26 in the case, 105% case capacity and thats giving them 2977 fps. I started loading but can't get past 48.0 grains and the compressed load is too much to hold the projectile.

Seeing if any of the knowledgeable lads out there have any suggestions as its not quite the speeds I'm after at 48 grains.
    Have herd that sometimes Winchester or Lapua brass can give better case capacity as its thinner walled? Can anyone confirm this? Any ideas are welcomed with open arms hahahah.

I used Laupa cases in mine with RL26 but you need a long drop tube I was loading 48.8.
    Are seating to lands or mag length

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

try tapping side of case to settle powder down more...105% case capacity is 21/20ths so will be???? 2grns if 40 is max you closer to 50 so will still be 1 and bit grains short....or needing to be scrunched in....
    drop tube will do no more than tapping vibrating side of case to settle powder down...
    nearly 3000 fps with 135grn projectile would be considered good going in a .308 MAYBE reset your expectations,change powder or buy rifle with bigger case capacity....heck 3000fps out of poohseventy with 130grn projectile is reasonable speed.... have a rethink would be my advice.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    I found that winchester 270 cases are heavier than norma and hold more water - fired in same rifle ?? The Norma produce higher velocity than the Win for the same charge ( lower capacity ). Different Zinc / Copper ratio in the brass perhaps ??
    That must be a real long barrel to get those velocities mentioned
    Micky Duck likes this.

Electric razor held on the case while tapping on ya bench will get more powder in the case.

Think of it like vibrating concrete
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I have been running 49gr in mine the easiest way I have found to get it in is with a long drop tube as previously mentioned. Before I bought one of those I had been vibrating the cases while pouring in slowly with a handheld sander which works quite well along with tapping. With lapua brass.

shoulda bought a 260