Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By R93
  • 3 Post By matagouri
  • 3 Post By zimmer

Thread: 6.5 cm case capacity

6.5 cm case capacity

Started load developing for my tikka strata 6.5cm. Using Berger 135 classic hunters. Using Norma brass.
    Berger website load data says they're getting 49.8 gn of reloader 26 in the case, 105% case capacity and thats giving them 2977 fps. I started loading but can't get past 48.0 grains and the compressed load is too much to hold the projectile.

Seeing if any of the knowledgeable lads out there have any suggestions as its not quite the speeds I'm after at 48 grains.
    Have herd that sometimes Winchester or Lapua brass can give better case capacity as its thinner walled? Can anyone confirm this? Any ideas are welcomed with open arms hahahah.

Greetings Wild Brad,
    Trickling the charge in to the case and tapping the part full case on the bench can help get a bit more in. Someone may be able to help with case weights but Winchester is often more roomy in the .308. Another 1.8 grains sounds like a big ask though.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and WildBrad like this.

R93
    Havent done it to a creed myself but maybe get a drop tube and even trickle the powder from your pan into that. Dont dump it. It will still be compressed but you should be able seat a berger

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and WildBrad like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If you've got a case tumbler, hold charged case against the side of it whilst its vibrating. Can help settle compressed loads.
    Alternatively same principle with a vibrating toothbrush....
    R93, Micky Duck and WildBrad like this.

This is my drop tube. As you can see it is that long it will not all fit into the photo. The short iddy biddy ones that you can buy are practically useless.

Now, to be clear, I don't use it to explore the stratosphere above normal loads. I use it because I try to select powders that completely fill my cases rather than faster powders that come to below the start of the shoulder. My barrels are usually very long and suited to slower burning powders.

I find I get the best results if tipping the powder on the side of the top funnel rather than just dumping the powder in. Tipping on the side of the funnel creates a vortex and seems to give much better compaction.

I prefer a drop tube to compressed loads. I feel (don't have hard evidence) that when you compress a load you may change the burning characteristics. Again, no evidence just my feeling. I feel a compressed load will have powder at the top more compressed than that down near the flash hole. That's aside from some compressed loads presenting difficulties with seating projectiles or even jacking projectiles out once seated, depending upon your neck tension.
    Name:  20210206_155705.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  1.01 MB
    Micky Duck, Mathias and WildBrad like this.

Cheers for the advice lads, I've been using a iddy biddy drop tube but will try pouring the powder slower and in stages, see how I get on with it on Monday.