Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 6.5 creed 147 eldm with imr4895

6.5 creed 147 eldm with imr4895

Hi there

I’m after a little info on this powder and projectile
    Is anyone using this combo and have a few cues on how this powder acts and what it likes
    I have a mate loading asking me questions but I have no experience with the cal or powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creedmoor really needs AR2209 or similarly slow burning stuff. Imr4895 is too fast to get decent speeds with 147's.
    Bill999 likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I would say IMR4895 is way too fast for 147 grn pills try and find Hodgdon superprofrmance or 2209

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Have a look at the data here:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=54

IMR is a Hodgdon brand - there's load data here for the whole range. When you select 6.5 Creedmoor with the 147 projectile the range of powders suggested fits with the suggestions already made here - does not include IMR4895. In the Creedmoor the 4895 would work well with 85 to 100 grain projectiles as it is similar (not the same) to AR2206H

Other options for the 147 would include Re16, Re17, AR2213, W760(H414), Win. Staball, Viht 550, 555 and even 560 just to name a few.
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Creedmoor really needs AR2209 or similarly slow burning stuff. Imr4895 is too fast to get decent speeds with 147's.
    Great! I have a bottle of that on hand he can switch to if need be

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Have a look at the data here:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=54

IMR is a Hodgdon brand - there's load data here for the whole range. When you select 6.5 Creedmoor with the 147 projectile the range of powders suggested fits with the suggestions already made here - does not include IMR4895. In the Creedmoor the 4895 would work well with 85 to 100 grain projectiles as it is similar (not the same) to AR2206H

Other options for the 147 would include Re16, Re17, AR2213, W760(H414), Win. Staball, Viht 550, 555 and even 560 just to name a few.
    Thanks mate I’ll pass that on

I believe I loaded 147gr ELD with 41.5gr 2209 in a Bergara HMR. It was slow but accurate as. I'm doing a similar load with 41gr Reloder 16 in my CTR and getting 2570fps and great accuracy.

he seems dead set on using the imr 4895 even with me persuading him not to

If I cant talk him out of it Ill let you guys know if it was a good idea, catastrophic or somewhere in between

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    he seems dead set on using the imr 4895 even with me persuading him not to

If I cant talk him out of it Ill let you guys know if it was a good idea, catastrophic or somewhere in between
    My thoughts are if he cannot source and cross reference load data himself in this day and age and continues to want to use a powder after it's been recommended not to.....then he probably shouldn't be hand loading.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    My thoughts are if he cannot source and cross reference load data himself in this day and age and continues to want to use a powder after it's been recommended not to.....then he probably shouldn't be hand loading.
    I second this!
    @Bill999 - is he loading for a short barrelled Creedmoor by any chance? Is it possible he's been reading some of the nonsense about using faster powders to 'get back' the speed lost in a short barrel?

It's not that you can't use IMR4895 with the 147, more that it is far from ideal and will be very slow. The temptation then for an inexperienced reloader is to add some more powder to speed it up and that's when it can all go really wrong.

Perhaps you should find a video to show him of what happens when a primer blows out and gas vents through the action?

GWH
    Yes, in my experience when running heavy for cal bullets, even in short barrels you will actually get higher velocities using slower burning powders.
    25/08IMP and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Its a choice between getting free 2209 from me or taking a gamble with your eyes, face and fingers
    the obvious option has not yet been taken
    he will probably come round but it might take a some spicy air in his eyes before he can see logic

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    I second this!
    @Bill999 - is he loading for a short barrelled Creedmoor by any chance? Is it possible he's been reading some of the nonsense about using faster powders to 'get back' the speed lost in a short barrel?

It's not that you can't use IMR4895 with the 147, more that it is far from ideal and will be very slow. The temptation then for an inexperienced reloader is to add some more powder to speed it up and that's when it can all go really wrong.

Perhaps you should find a video to show him of what happens when a primer blows out and gas vents through the action?
    its about 20 ish inches from his report
    its a howa alpine so at least its a semi decently strong action
    this is coming from reloaders supplies saying its all good and suitable so this is a little concerning as they sold him the edlms with the powder for this pourpose,
    especially when he rings me and reveals that his starting load(2 grain short of what ever max load he was working on) is crunching (compression) and he can tap it and get the bullet a little further in and basically asking why he cant fit more powder in

I basically said stop this is all wrong, dont do it and let me run it past you guys

4895 is to fast to be suitable for 6.5cm in any bullet weight really

Jfc, he's a determined fool.

There's data online for IMR 4350, 4451, 4831, and 4955. If he's crunching 4895 in there then I hope his face is stronger than that action.
    tikka6.5 likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.