Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with slower powders

6.5 Creedmoor loaded with slower powders

Hi everyone, I need some "expert" advise. I been thinking about what I read in the web about a "new"(yet to be lunched) alliant powder (RL16 and 26) that people are trying and reloading 6.5 calibers such as the Creedmoor with some success in speed without sacrificing pressure.
    Has anyone reload especificaly for the 6.5Creedmore with a slower powder such as the ADI2213sc?
    I have sent an email to ADI but still not answer yet, hence the question in here.
    Someone who has the "quick load" app could kindly have a go with it with the combination of 140-142gr projectiles and ADI2213sc?

Thank you heaps!

Mac

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    Hi everyone, I need some "expert" advise. I been thinking about what I read in the web about a "new"(yet to be lunched) alliant powder (RL16 and 26) that people are trying and reloading 6.5 calibers such as the Creedmoor with some success in speed without sacrificing pressure.
    Has anyone reload especificaly for the 6.5Creedmore with a slower powder such as the ADI2213sc?
    I have sent an email to ADI but still not answer yet, hence the question in here.
    Someone who has the "quick load" app could kindly have a go with it with the combination of 140-142gr projectiles and ADI2213sc?

Thank you heaps!

Mac
    Mac, maybe you should add Hogdson Superformance to your list and study up on that via US websites.

I'll be throwing together some loads this week, I've got 2208 in the safe so will start there, barrel is 20" so no use for slow powder me thinks.

I doubt you would get enough powder in the case to get any decent velocity with 2213sc and most likely get gas blow back because of low pressure most of the start loads have a pressure around 50,000 psi
    with max around 59.000 psi to 60,000 psi, If the pressure is to low the case does not seal the chamber and you get smokey cases and a face full of gas not very nice, and the velocity drops off,
    I work with cast bullets and get this quite a lot when trying to get the balance between pressure and velocity,
    Max load with 2209 is compressed at 40.0 grs with a 140 Amax and 2213sc has more bulk so you will not get enough pressure to do your self and good, better off to try powders in the same burning range as 2209
    Hogdgon Hybrid 100V seems to give the highest velocity with 140-142 bullets.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    I doubt you would get enough powder in the case to get any decent velocity with 2213sc and most likely get gas blow back because of low pressure most of the start loads have a pressure around 50,000 psi
    with max around 59.000 psi to 60,000 psi, If the pressure is to low the case does not seal the chamber and you get smokey cases and a face full of gas not very nice, and the velocity drops off,
    I work with cast bullets and get this quite a lot when trying to get the balance between pressure and velocity,
    Max load with 2209 is compressed at 40.0 grs with a 140 Amax and 2213sc has more bulk so you will not get enough pressure to do your self and good, better off to try powders in the same burning range as 2209
    Hogdgon Hybrid 100V seems to give the highest velocity with 140-142 bullets.
    Cheers.
    Hey guys, thank you very much for put the time to answer me, it is very much appreciated.

@shooternz, thank you for the heads up and believing that you do a fair bit of reloading and things related I will consider all your info.
    I like to put a "note" regards the case capacity, I am reloading Hornady ELD-M with 42grins of 2209 at Magpul magazine length on my RPR, I easily can put anothe 2-3 grains in there to compress the load for mag length or just seat the bullet longer(what I haven't been lucky to find a sweet spot).
    Regards the other "American" powders, I prefer to keep away of it as the normally are hard to find and quiet expensive whe you do.

Again, thank you for the info and I will keep you guys posted about ADI answer to my enquire.

Cheers

Mac

Found this. They Didnt have 2213sc but this is apparently the same. I assumed 22" barrel and went close to 100% case capacity.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1963
Size:  77.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Found this. They Didnt have 2213sc but this is apparently the same. I assumed 22" barrel and went close to 100% case capacity.

Attachment 55242
    Thank you A LOT @ Timmay, i vey much appreciate your help. I can see it won't work well as i thought, lets see what ADI will say on my enquire.

Cheers for the help everyone!

Mac

P.S.: by the way Timmy, the barrel is a 24".

Hi Mac, I've been playing with a 7mm08ai using 2209 and like yourself have a very accurate mild load but cant get enough powder in the case to reach the next accuracy node'.
    After much research I finally came across some info recommending H414/W760. These two are the same powder just under different brands. They have a similar burn rate as 2209 but are spherical so can get more in the case.
    I got some H414 and have gained 250fps but more importantly have found the next node.
    I don't know if you would get the same results in your Creedmore but could be worth looking at.
    WJ
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    Hi Mac, I've been playing with a 7mm08ai using 2209 and like yourself have a very accurate mild load but cant get enough powder in the case to reach the next accuracy node'.
    After much research I finally came across some info recommending H414/W760. These two are the same powder just under different brands. They have a similar burn rate as 2209 but are spherical so can get more in the case.
    I got some H414 and have gained 250fps but more importantly have found the next node.
    I don't know if you would get the same results in your Creedmore but could be worth looking at.
    WJ
    Thank you heaps WJ, i have a little bit of W760 myself, maybe enough for 10 rounds, i will check it out asap.

Cheers for the heads up… The only concern i have with these powders is, how temperature sensitive they are.

Mac

I can't answer that one Mac, have only done load development during last month so 10-15 degrees. Will need to wait till it warms up as we head into summer and check it again to see if I need to back off the powder charge. But for now I'm very happy with the outcome.
    Cheers
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

GWH
    Im playing with 7828ssc in my 6.5CM with 143's, QL showed it as the fastest out of the powders i had on the shelf. Havnt put over the chrony tho yet.

So, as I mention, follow the reply I just received with the information about it.
    As bellow:

"Thank you for your enquiry of 6/9/2016 with regard to reloading using ADI Sporting powders.
    AR2213SC is considered too slow burning for optimal performance in 6.5 Creedmoor, thus we do not have any test load data.
    Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to our website at ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide or our 9th edition handloaders’ guide for more information, warnings and reloading safety.
    We thank you for using ADI Sporting Powders. Yours sincerely,
    ADI Technical Centre."

Cheers

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    WJ
    @wsm junkie what weight projectiles & speed are you getting? Cheers
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @wsm junkie what weight projectiles & speed are you getting? Cheers
    160gr TMK, Lapua brass - 2850fps

Impressive!