Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 3 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: 6.5 StaBALL / H1000 Powders

6.5 StaBALL / H1000 Powders

I have a curiosity question,

I am currently loading the 6.5 PRC with H1000 / AR2217
    I am currently loading the 7mm08 with 6.5 StaBALL

Shortage of Projectiles for both has me thinking about a 270wsm or 6.8 Western.

In my searchings and comparisons, I noticed that Hodgdon has load data for;
    6.5 PRC & H1000 for 120gr - 153gr Projectiles
    7mm08 & 6.5 StaBALL for 120gr - 175gr Projectiles
    270wsm & both H1000 & 6.5 StaBALL for 130gr - 160gr Projectiles
    6.8 Western & both H1000 & 6.5 StaBALL for 129gr - 170gr Projectiles

This is leading me to wonder, if the 6.5 StaBALL provides similar velocities using much less powder (6grs +/-) to the H1000 in the likes of the 270wsm and 6.8 Western, can it be used with similar success in 6.5 PRC ?

I might be able to consolidate my Powders, and go big on 6.5 StaBALL and move on my stock of H1000 & AR2217.

I looked at 6.5 StaBALL for my 6.5 prc. Its quite fast burning (faster that H4350) and seems to work best with lighter bullets under 140 grn like the 118-135 range in the prc.

If you want a really powder forgiving factory case with great flexibility in the short fizzy actions then I would go for the 270wsm. 6.5 StaBALL works in it. Very underrated case and caliber. Easy to get to shoot. Projectiles available. Consumes all sorts of powder. Potent.

With the 6.8 Western you will be chasing cases? - so that will be another headache
    Last edited by Tahr; 15-03-2022 at 01:50 PM.
    kiwi-adam likes this.

I like that you have sat down and done the math on this. Personally if it were me, id not let ho of powders you have use for at the moment. If anything id go heavy on the adi powders as the supply out of aussie will be more reliable ( use that word loosly) than american and European powders in my opinion.

The 6.8 western case could go well with 2209 too. 2213sc will be a great choice in it with the heavies. There still seems to be a bit of powder floating about which is good to see.

Ive probably not answered any of your questions but some food for thought perhaps?
    kiwi-adam likes this.

Greetings @kiwi-adam,
    I think that both you and I need to get out in the bush more. We both seem to be prone to over thinking things. My more rational side tells me that you have two rifles that work and are concerned about projectile supply which is likely history by the time that have a new rifle purchased and decent loads worked up. My more impulsive side chimes in with that 6.8 Western does look really good and the fast barrel twist will allow the use of much more pointy high BC projectiles than the fuddy old .270 WSM so lets buy one. Next the more rational side is back you don't need another rifle. You counted up your 129 grain SST projectiles the other day and there were 60 left. You will be 73 in four weeks and you will be damned lucky to get through half of them. And on it goes. Sound familiar? If so just try and enjoy it.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    ZQLewis, dannyb and kiwi-adam like this.

@grandpamac, I am with you there!
    I have enough to keep my 6.5 PRC going for more than long enough.
    The wife is likely to run me dry of her 7mm08 components very soon!
    I have enough 6.5 Grendel components if either of us run out.
    Truth is I would be alot more clever getting her a 222 or 223 so she doesnt burn through the hard to get components on Goats like she does.

Greetings @kiwi-adam,
    Still nice to dream though. My tendancy to procrastination generally keeps me out of trouble but not always. There is a Rem 700 Sendero chambered for the 7mm Rem SAUM in the rifle cupboard that I got in 2004. It would be lucky to have fired 50 rounds and all of them at paper. It is pretty light for a rifle with a 26 inch fat barrel and I still dream of some more trips to the open tops north of Kiwi Saddle where it has been just once. Later this year perhaps.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    kiwi-adam likes this.