Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Dermastor
  • 1 Post By T.FOYE
  • 2 Post By alitowers

Thread: 6.5prc 147eldm CBTO

6.5prc 147eldm CBTO

Hi all,
    Finally got all my componentry together and now just eating on my rifle.
    Can anyone share what the std hornady factory load dimensions are so I can use some of the lockdown spare time to load up a few rounds to break in the barrel when I get it.
    TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alitowers likes this.

Have loaded 20 rounds so far, it’s been a while so bear with me.
    The new hornady g3 scale is a massive massive step up from the original that came from my reloading kit being able to leave it on to warm up kept it super super steady for weighing powder. I’m using vn565 powder at 56gr for a start load and seating to 2.955 COAL, I have e got a comparator and measure the ogive at 2.320 the funny thing is I have been checking the rounds after they have been seated and I find the projectiles vary by measuring with the comparator. I’m loading 147eldm hornady and using the a tip seating stem on hornady custom grade dies.
    Question
    Does the ogive vary on these rounds or should I look elsewhere? I have checked the standard stem and the 147s top out in it so I’m assuming I shouldn’t revert to it.

oglive should be constant..overall length may vary if tips have slight differences,sierra HP are shockers for this.....
    check your seating die is locked up solid and not moving..and your stroke is bottoming out the same everytime.... not alot TO make differing lengths as seating stem touches projectile along edge of oglive (sometimes you will see wee ring where it has) so all rounds should in theory be same distance for rifling.

Sorry to say but your Hornady projectiles will vary at the ogive. They are pretty inconsistent.
    T.FOYE likes this.

Dont worry about that at all eh. Just dont fall for the std mistake of making them .02" off the lands.
    Make em .05", or just a few to see if im wrong.
    Taupohunter likes this.

Cheers MD will check as suggested.
    Disappointing to hear of the hornady dimensions I assumed being match they should be spot on
    Haven’t picked up my rifle yet was supposed to be this week from 55six then onto peak view to do the load work ups after barrel break in but god knows when we will be out of this lockdown. Oh well at least the reloading passes the time.
    Thanks chaps will revert later

Whats the rifle?

The Hornady reloading data uses a COL of 2.950". Factory ammo will be the same.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

How much variance?
    Using the comparitor takes a bit of a knack......one nees to rotate the case till the shortest measurement is found.....this measurement is generally consistant, just putting the case in the calipers and measureing is not.

Im useing redding dies and the ATip and the CBTO is within half a thou which is the resolution of my calipers.
    While the atip is a premium consecutively packaged bullet I wouldn't think the eldx or m would be drastically different in ogive in one box.

Double check tip not contacting in seating stem.
    Use a dry lube inside seating stem so it doesn't "stick" and slightly pull bullets on withdrawal.
    Consistant neck tension and case lengths?
    Inside necks vld chamfered and cleaned?
    Necks should not be shiny brass cleaned,they can pick up and gall on the bullet.....leave the carbon on just clean with a nylon brush or very lightly with a bronze.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cheers all,
    checked the stem and projectile is not bottoming out
    Checked 50 projectiles on the comparator plus minus 0.0005 so they are good, agree on the comparator it is a bit of a knack.
    Remeasured the loads and sorted them by + spot on and -
    Only a few were under and only by 0.001 so pretty spot on
    The larger were put back in the press and checked then re measured. No change.
    Then I noticed that the larger rounds the primers sat a little proud hence the longer measurement.

I will use these first with the barrel break in rather than try to seat the primers in a live round…
    The unloaded rounds I’ll check and reseat if primers found to be high.

Rifle is a seekins havak bravo, scope is a Tract toric 4.5-30 x 56 with tier one rings

Hoping to get into PRS going forward and the odd hunt, like the technical challenge of it used to go to the Clevedon range before the kids were born up to 1000yrds.

Appreciate the help. Think I can call this one sorted now.

Tahr and veitnamcam like this.