Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

6x47L sizing help

Hi - so I bought a nice 6x47L rifle from @The Claw/ well pleased with it. Anyway it came with some 6.5x47L brass of which there is some that is sized (I think he used a .266 bushing) and unfired. I can't seat projectiles in this brass with my little arbor press - the necks are just too tight. If I run them through a die with an expander that should help?

I only have a set of Wilson hand dies and an arbor press so I am going to get a single stage press which I have needed for a while (stupidly sold my Rockchucker a while back) so I will need some 7/8 sizing dies. I am going to get some more brass as well so I will be having to size down some more anyway soon. So do I get a Forster Full Length die or a Forster Neck Bushing/Shoulder Bump Kit - The full length die SHOULD be better for initial sizing down from 6.5 eh?

I was trying to link to The Claw so he could see this post but I seem to have f*&ked that up and I can't edit because I get the 403 error

I'd probably go the FL die then you have all bases covered, once they have been once fired you should be able to use the Wilson die for seating
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

P38
    Shamus

Try @The Claw

Also I'd go with the Forster full length die to begin with.

Cheers
    Pete

Looks to be working now @Shamus
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Thanks guys I will give the full length die a go and get a couple of different sized bushings for the Wilson dies while I am at it.

Ran the new brass through a 6x47L sizing die then used a K&M expander mandrel - way better neck tension now

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Sorry Shamus, been away and just saw this thread now... Seems as though you have it sorted? Did the formed brass work with the Arbor press ok? I didn't have any problems seating projectiles with a normal press? I think it was a 0.266 bush I used (from memory), the guy I got the rifle from used either a 0.266 or 0.267 bushing depending on the brass neck thickness. If I had a full length die I would lend it to you, but I have a separate neck & body die... If it's any use I could flick it up as I have plenty of loaded 6.5x47 ammo at the moment so could spare it for a while?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Sorry Shamus, been away and just saw this thread now... Seems as though you have it sorted? Did the formed brass work with the Arbor press ok? I didn't have any problems seating projectiles with a normal press? I think it was a 0.266 bush I used (from memory), the guy I got the rifle from used either a 0.266 or 0.267 bushing depending on the brass neck thickness. If I had a full length die I would lend it to you, but I have a separate neck & body die... If it's any use I could flick it up as I have plenty of loaded 6.5x47 ammo at the moment so could spare it for a while?

All good mate got it sorted now. I bought a Forster FL sizing die but thank you anyway for the offer to loan your die that is appreciated Only shot a couple of groups with rifle so far with your suggested load in the half-dark one windy evening but she is looking good! That Zigliani suppressor is really effective too - I am really impressed with it.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Glad you have it sorted. It is a good shooter and yeah the Zigliani Suppressor is really good

If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

If anyone is ever in the market for a Forster 6x47L FL die, I have a spare one on the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    If anyone is ever in the market for a Forster 6x47L FL die, I have a spare one on the shelf
    Sorted for a FL die now but do you have any 6x47L load data to share, especially for 105 gr projectiles - just working up some loads and always good for reference purposes to see what other people are using. You have the right username