Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

7.62x39 Experiances

Thought I'd start a thread to gauge the success other forum hunters have had with this cartridge. No reason in particular just wanna talk x39. To date I have shot one deer with it and shit tons of rabbits. To be honest I haven't used it for hunting in a long time, but have been thinking of busting the SKS out again.

I have pretty much shot Barnaul 125gr SP exclusively. Accuracy with the SKS was perfectly serviceable for closer range hunting. At 30 odd yards, it penetrated through the brisket of a Sika yearling and ended up in a hip, quite nicely mushroomed. Damage was minimal really, but it did the job. Rabbits just explode when hit basically.

What loads have you guys used and how have you found them on different things?

Ugh grammar fail

It’s a fine round. I've shot a couple thousand goats with it (7.62x39) and have no problem recommending it for anything up to red deer.

Ammo choice is fundamental i.e. obviously no FMJ, but I found that the Barnaul (not sure on spelling) worked fine in my rifles (an old CZ, a Norinco bolt action, a SKS and later a SKK).

I always used .223, but for about 2 years I went to the 7.62x39, then went back to .223. Either will do the job, but having the same ammo as everyone else you hunt with is always an advantage, so that why I went back to .223.

kj

I have a 7.62x39 baikal that i shortened and trimmed the wordwork on, DPT suppressor, and an extended eye relief scope. I'd really like to experiment with reloading this, both subsonic and suped up.
    7.62x39: Improving the Military Standard

The first deer I ever shot was with a Mini 30. A bit rattly for the bush but did the job