Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 reloading.

7.62x39 reloading.

Yeah I know most people just shoot cheap Chinese/Russian... but I am going to have a go, well because I can!

Unfortunately down here in NZ we can be a bit short on powder choice and I can't find the apparently perfect 7.62x39 powder which is by internet wisdom Accurate AA1680 and you need to purchase 2kg Vihtavuori N120 only from SAI (continuous supply could be a problem). Has anyone tried ADI 2207? I am often disappointed by ADI powders and loading data so don't want to purchase a can of it only to get low velocity. Probably just going to shoot 125 grain fmj or Hornady projectiles.

Suggestions?

2213 is ok and works well for me...I don't own chrony and don't care
    lil gun works too so if you can find it cheap give me PM and I will let you in on loads I use.
    also we use .308 projectiles and manage 2-3" groups which I figure are heaps enough for range this cartridge is good for.

awsome I HAVE some lil gun PM sent

I have a CZ carbine that I use (Lapua brass) a 123 grain Hornady SST on top of 28 grains Reloader 7. Primers are Federal 210M. This is one grain over Nick Harvey's max but no pressure signs at all. I seat the projectiles quite long - a lot longer than you would have in a semi.

Please work up at least 3 grains below that.

Quote Originally Posted by huntsika View Post
    I have a CZ carbine that I use (Lapua brass) a 123 grain Hornady SST on top of 28 grains Reloader 7. Primers are Federal 210M. This is one grain over Nick Harvey's max but no pressure signs at all. I seat the projectiles quite long - a lot longer than you would have in a semi.

Please work up at least 3 grains below that.

Nice, Thanks @huntsika for that one. Any idea of the velocity? It looks like Serious Scooters has Reloader 7 by the pound! Gets some good velocity in 22 inch barrels by the look of the data. Has anyone tried Vihtavuori N120? Oops, mistake in my first post, it is from Serious Shooters. Great velocity claim from a short 16 inch barrel, nearly 2500fps.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Nice, Thanks @huntsika for that one. Any idea of the velocity? It looks like Serious Scooters has Reloader 7 by the pound! Gets some good velocity in 22 inch barrels by the look of the data. Has anyone tried Vihtavuori N120? Oops, mistake in my first post, it is from Serious Shooters. Great velocity claim from a short 16 inch barrel, nearly 2500fps.
    A little over 2400 - was chronographed but a long time ago and I think that might have only been 27 grains and not 28 (?). I've only got a 16" barrel so pretty good in my view - I also briefly tried AR2207 and one of the Benchmark Powders (either I or II), but found Reloader 7 really well balanced in terms of pressure and accuracy so very quickly gave up on anything else.

ebf
    Yup, 2207 and Speer 123 soft points.

If you want speeds etc, lemme know, will need to dig around some spreadsheets.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Yup, 2207 and Speer 123 soft points.

If you want speeds etc, lemme know, will need to dig around some spreadsheets.
    Yeah that would great @ebf if I can get 2207 to work as well as the exotics it will be worth a go. I have a 14.5 inch barrel so might loose 50fps over a 16 inch barrel.

how you getting on 300?????
    my wee beastie still going great and no show of me selling it, just too much fun to use and the deer etc fall over nicely.

@Micky Duck just read you post 2 months later. Haven't payed much 7.62 recently. Been playing with 300AAC mostly

Crap velocities with Reloader 7, cant remember but they weren't good. I have shot mostly Chinese/Russian ammo since which has really hard primers. You need a mill spec trigger to light the fire. Need to work on some good loads as I will definitely take it on the Te Urewera trip next time. decided the short rifle is better in the Urewera bush at the short ranges it offers.

I need to try some 2207.

northdude
    im about to start loading for one of these as well ive got some 2206h has anyone tried it

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    im about to start loading for one of these as well ive got some 2206h has anyone tried it
    Interesting... let us know how you go.

northdude
    I'll do that I've also got lil gun but there's mixed reports on the internet about it

lil gun works well in 300aac but may be a bit quick for x39. Must give it a try though.

If you are after something to hunt with while sorting out loads, try some Highland 7.62X39 SP 123GR factory ammo. Serous have it in stock at $25/box (which is ridiculously expensive). I bought 2,000 rounds of it when it was around the $600/1000 and cheaper than .223 ammo. Knocks down goats with authority and took a nice fat hind on the weekend at 120m with a chest shot approx 2" back from the front leg bone. Bullet went all the way through and she made about 20-30m before dropping stone dead.

I have been trialing 2206H in the .223 with the hope that it will shoot in the 6.5 Creedmore and the 7.62x39 as it is listed for all three with reasonable velocities. Haven't got to reloading the 7.62x39 yet since i still have plenty of the Highland in stock, so keen to hear results.