Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 75 ELD-M Results

75 ELD-M Results

Sorry lads no pictures as we left in a rush from the farm.

Loaded up 40 rounds of the 75 ELD-M to try out.

5 @22.5
    5 @23
    5 @23.2
    5 @23.5
    5 @23.7
    5 @24
    5 @24.2
    5 @24.5
    Name:  photo_2018-03-23_10-16-49.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  105.4 KB

All were loaded to 64.1mm based on the Sierra 69 TMK but the 75 is that much longer to the Ogive so didn't touch the lands and I will need to get them in closer from what I read.

The only load that grouped was the 24.5 and velocity was good @3100 average and 3/4 MOA.

Very slight cratering on primers so I'll play with length and get some mags modified.

Pretty happy with the potential here!
    berg243 likes this.

Nice - what powder did you use? also barrel length?
    3100fps is pretty quick for a 75gr yeah?

@berg243 I've got a thread on here with some terminal performance pics.
    Hen and berg243 like this.

Yeah I thought that too.

Its a standard Super Varmint using 2206H.

I think once I extend the projectiles out a little the speed ma drop off?
    The 69 TMK that is slightly compressed and loaded at mag length shot faster with 24.5 gr of 2206H than with 25.3 and seated out further.

This is due to more pressure? Just guessing but I may also have a "fast barrel" by normal standards.

Can't wait to scrounge some cash together so I can send it to Greg and unleash it's real potential!!

I've been using them for 600m f-tr, try 2208, it is more consistant and have the eld's just touching the lands for best groups.

When you say "consistent" you mean speed wise?

Yes, lower spread in velocity.

Cool... some decent spreads with every load so far.
    Most of it will be due to my reloading skill but I'll be investing in a Chargemaster lite so that will help.

So interesting results with them seated out to the lands.

First 4 shots all ok with slightly cratered primers and with the 5th I got some primer spray in the face as it blew.

Primer was dead flat and a hole in it... It was at max load but had worked it up as they were safe just short of the lands.

So I'm guessing I knock back the charge and try them seated out as there is only marginally more effort to close bolt so they are certainly not jammed in there?

But, there is clearly more pressure with a blown primer....so go up in 1 or 2 grain increments?

No you need to do half grain with a 223, also just touching means you shouldn't feel any more effort to close the bolt, thats jamming the projectile int o the rifling. make up a dummy round, paint the bullet with a black felt tip and carefully chamber. Extract and check for rifling marks, if you have dial calipers measure the lengths of the marks and reduce your overall lenght by that amount.
    SlimySquirrel and rossi.45 like this.

24.5 is on the hot side of things.

For the most part I consider a shinny square mark made by the rifling touching. If you polish your projectile with Autosole then chamber it you will see it quite clearly.

As your barrel fouls it will spike pressures and pop primers if you are close. I have just spent too much time developing a load for my mates .223. In the end the 69gn TMK was the ticket for us but every gun has its pet load out there and we just need to find it. 3100 is fast! I'd personally stay with the 2206H if it is shorter (24") Barrel 2208 is also a good choice but will reduce your velocity a little and likely upset your barrel timing node. That said if 24.5 was your best load that is unfortunate as that is most likely is an unsustainable velocity. By dropping back to the next node you may find your load will settle down a bit. It might also open the door to the 2208.

I run an AR15 out to 300 on goats but my mate's .223 has exceeded our expectations. He has pole axed goats at ranges well outside what I would have ever thought possible with a .223. For this reason over past few weekends and today's effort I find myself looking at the .223 in a new light. That said I still reach for a 7mm when the going gets tough.
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Awesome thanks mate.

Yeah, the clear node was at 24.5 as groups were tight.
    Not too bothered by the speed, I just want them huddling together instead of the one loner that ruins the party.

I'll get some 2208 and try again but this time I'll get them out touching the lands. I still have some 2206H so will do the same with that.
    The 69 TMK works well in this rifle 3145 with tight groups and kills pretty well.
    Double Shot likes this.

We all struggle with that pesky one loaner from time to time. For the most part guys striving for tight groups can shoot, hell my wife who never shot a gun in her life got 58 in an F-Class match. Assuming everything is good with your bedding and you are comfortable and super solid in your rest without even so much as any slight movement in the cross hairs and your parallax is dialed the only two factors left are your barrel and your load.

If your ES is bad this can cause a problem but I have shot some great groups with poor ES. ES has far more effect at long range than it does on a 100y target. Inconsistent seating depth can throw you a curve ball. I'm either in the lands or I'm out! I avoid .005"" off type loads. For hunting I prefer off the lands and if that means I give up .2-.3moa I'm fine with that. My .284 is the worst shooting gun I have at around .75moa but it does it all day long. Some days I might put 80-100 rounds through it and it just keeps killing right out to 700-800y. By far this is my favorite rife but needs a brake, I'm getting soft in my old age and like to watch the bullet splash down.

I think for the most part flyers are the barrel. It's fouled. With a bore scope I have found Carbon in the throat and copper from about half way in streaks out to the muzzle. Both can be particularly hard to get rid of and I'v tried different types of cleaners over the years. JB's will actually clean your barrel with enough elbow grease or Autosol with far less effort. With your barrel back to bare steel you will need 5-6 shots to get it going again but after that I flat guarantee you will get better groups. I have with some consistency shot under .2 same gun and load fouled after a big day culling it might be .6-.8moa (My custom 7mm WSM, my 6 x 47 just goes rouge from .6 up too 1.5moa or worse). I have never once looked in someones barrel and seen it cleaned properly and I only ever look after they just cleaned it.

If JB's or Autosoul don't get rid of your flyer it is something else.
    Puffin and SlimySquirrel like this.

They good on Wallabies. Shoot great out of my 18inch tikka.
    Dreamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imfree View Post
    We all struggle with that pesky one loaner from time to time. For the most part guys striving for tight groups can shoot, hell my wife who never shot a gun in her life got 58 in an F-Class match. Assuming everything is good with your bedding and you are comfortable and super solid in your rest without even so much as any slight movement in the cross hairs and your parallax is dialed the only two factors left are your barrel and your load.

If your ES is bad this can cause a problem but I have shot some great groups with poor ES. ES has far more effect at long range than it does on a 100y target. Inconsistent seating depth can throw you a curve ball. I'm either in the lands or I'm out! I avoid .005"" off type loads. For hunting I prefer off the lands and if that means I give up .2-.3moa I'm fine with that. My .284 is the worst shooting gun I have at around .75moa but it does it all day long. Some days I might put 80-100 rounds through it and it just keeps killing right out to 700-800y. By far this is my favorite rife but needs a brake, I'm getting soft in my old age and like to watch the bullet splash down.

I think for the most part flyers are the barrel. It's fouled. With a bore scope I have found Carbon in the throat and copper from about half way in streaks out to the muzzle. Both can be particularly hard to get rid of and I'v tried different types of cleaners over the years. JB's will actually clean your barrel with enough elbow grease or Autosol with far less effort. With your barrel back to bare steel you will need 5-6 shots to get it going again but after that I flat guarantee you will get better groups. I have with some consistency shot under .2 same gun and load fouled after a big day culling it might be .6-.8moa (My custom 7mm WSM, my 6 x 47 just goes rouge from .6 up too 1.5moa or worse). I have never once looked in someones barrel and seen it cleaned properly and I only ever look after they just cleaned it.

If JB's or Autosoul don't get rid of your flyer it is something else.
    Thanks boss.... been using the foaming bore cleaner and it's been excellent on all my rifles so far.

Right now, I'm gonna keep using the TMK as they fit in the mag and kill bloody well. Once I sort out my son's rig properly I may even sell the Super Varmint and go for a Creedmoor as I'm trying to get consistent kills out past 500.

The 75 eldm will be a bloody good little projectile once I get it sorted.