Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 7mm 162 ELD-M at 2700 fps. Experiences?

7mm 162 ELD-M at 2700 fps. Experiences?

I've read the old threads and most comments go along the lines of "same as the old amax so presume it goes the same". I'm running the X version in my rem mag and happy with it but my 284 thus far isn't shooting them as well as id like. Still more experimenting to be done.. I was hoping to shoot these to bridge the gap of a round that can handle up close vs out far.

What is the real world experience with the ELDM? How will it go closer up on game if launched at an expected 2700fps from my 284? I'm thinking the lower muzzle velocity compared to a traditional rem mag at 3000fps will assist in less "blow up" on impact. I also have some 160 TMKS and maybe some Berger 168 VLDs to try when I finally sort my life and load some up.

Cheers team.

Yet to see a blow up with 30 cal ELD-M going 2770 and shot anywhere from 30- 150m in the "close category". Did talk to a guy who had two blow ups on fallow shoulders in 30-06 and 7mm rem mag with the ELD-M.
    They are a crazy thin jacket, can easy snip projectiles in half with side cutters, damn sight harder to do that with a Berger VLD Hunter.
    stagstalker likes this.

I run 162 ELDM out of my Rem Mag at 2950fps. Haven’t had a ‘blow up’ yet. Shot two reds at 70m and 100m. Dead on there feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stagstalker likes this.

I can't speak for the eldM but I have been running the 162 amax at 2800 from 0-400M for years and I think any issues (few) are generally poor shot placement on my part you can't get it right every time.... The only thing I don't like is the fact that they pretty much explode inside the animal at close range. I regularly see red blood marks peppered through the forequarter meat indicative of shrapnel, I discard these areas of meat. They certainly don't hold together and mushroom. I like them though, they seem consistent box to box the oal measurement never seems to change unlike accubonds/ballistic tips.
    Last edited by yerimaginaryM8; 12-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.

GWH
    I run the old 162 Amax at 2700 from my 17" 284.

And same bullet at 3k from my 7Saum. The closest deer I've shot with the Amax in the SAUM was 230 yards which equates to an impact velocity of 2670 fps and it performed perfectly.

That would equate to a distance of about 15-20 yards with the 284.

I don't believe you have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by GWH; 12-03-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Man I love this site. So much info!
    GWH likes this.

I run the 30cal 178 eldm at 2920, shot a stag at 50m last week and no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stagstalker likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Have changed to the eld m in a 7mm08 an getting the same speeds you are talking about @ 2700 fps recently, but they certainly shoot well in it, but in terms of animals i have only shot a few smelly goats so far while mucking around at home with them from about 100yrds out to around 600 without any issues. But If you are really worried an its only going to be used for up close bush hunting for 1 month of the year (the roar) then id just load up something basic like a lead tip (something that looks different to your main load to tell them apart easily) etc and keep a couple in your bag for use when up close cause at 25meters its still gonna shoot close enough and depending on how many deer you actually shoot 20 bullets may last you a good few roars and for the rest of the year just use the eld m.
    Micky Duck and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham 7mm View Post
    Have changed to the eld m in a 7mm08 an getting the same speeds you are talking about @ 2700 fps recently, but they certainly shoot well in it, but in terms of animals i have only shot a few smelly goats so far while mucking around at home with them from about 100yrds out to around 600 without any issues. But If you are really worried an its only going to be used for up close bush hunting for 1 month of the year (the roar) then id just load up something basic like a lead tip (something that looks different to your main load to tell them apart easily) etc and keep a couple in your bag for use when up close cause at 25meters its still gonna shoot close enough and depending on how many deer you actually shoot 20 bullets may last you a good few roars and for the rest of the year just use the eld m.
    2700FPS with a 7mm08?
    You must have a long barrel, a good powder or a Hot load

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    2700FPS with a 7mm08?
    You must have a long barrel, a good powder or a Hot load
    Rem 700 24" barrel with IMR 4350 - 47.5grns
    Micky Duck and winaa like this.

Geez that must be packed in tight running off that action length or are they single feeds? I am hoping my 19" 284 will achieve those speeds with the same pill accurately haha

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Geez that must be packed in tight running off that action length or are they single feeds? I am hoping my 19" 284 will achieve those speeds with the same pill accurately haha
    It easily should mate, easy
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Aye, you should end up north of 2800 fps with the right powder.
    GWH and superdiver like this.

I am shooting 7mm08 162gr ELD-M at an average of 2686, and always .5 MOA or less. I have pushed it north of 2700, but the accuracy fell away. Using a 22 inch barrel with optima suppressor. I'm using RL17. No pressure signs at all.
    Taken 2 reds with zero problem.
    I've just finished a 284 build so interested in your results.
    winaa and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I am shooting 7mm08 162gr ELD-M at an average of 2686, and always .5 MOA or less. I have pushed it north of 2700, but the accuracy fell away. Using a 22 inch barrel with optima suppressor. I'm using RL17. No pressure signs at all.
    Taken 2 reds with zero problem.
    I've just finished a 284 build so interested in your results.
    @Gerardo out of interest what is you OAL