Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Benj
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By Benj
  • 1 Post By Benj

Thread: 7mm eld-X questions

7mm eld-X questions

So for ages I have been running the 162 amax with good results. Finally after scrounging a few more I have run out. I bought a box of eld-x 162's and I'm ready to remeasure distance to lands/work up some loads. I started doing some reading and discovered this Discussion Forums in which Nathan Foster states he sees major pressure differences between the eld-x and amax and it is possible that you will see a 100fps speed drop vs amax + earlier pressure signs in the work up.

I did wonder about the ELD-M's which are supposed to be a similar shape to the AMax's but also apparently redesigned and not recommended for hunting. There has been forum-wank amongst the yanks about whether or not these are retipped amaxes.

My questions are:

Has anyone struck problems with early pressure signs/lower speeds vs amax with the ELD-X?

Has anyone shot a few deer at varying ranges yet with the 162 ELD-M and if so are you happy with the way they roll?

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    So for ages I have been running the 162 amax with good results. Finally after scrounging a few more I have run out. I bought a box of eld-x 162's and I'm ready to remeasure distance to lands/work up some loads. I started doing some reading and discovered this Discussion Forums in which Nathan Foster states he sees major pressure differences between the eld-x and amax and it is possible that you will see a 100fps speed drop vs amax + earlier pressure signs in the work up.

I did wonder about the ELD-M's which are supposed to be a similar shape to the AMax's but also apparently redesigned and not recommended for hunting. There has been forum-wank amongst the yanks about whether or not these are retipped amaxes.

My questions are:

Has anyone struck problems with early pressure signs/lower speeds vs amax with the ELD-X?

Has anyone shot a few deer at varying ranges yet with the 162 ELD-M and if so are you happy with the way they roll?
    Mate has shot a number of reds with Ms from 100 - 700 yards. All but the 100m deer went straight down.
    300AAC likes this.

A mate swirched from .308 178 eld-x to .308 178 eld-m in his 308 because he wasn't happy how the eld-x killed. He felt they were harder and didn't expand as well as the old amax. He is very happy with the eld-m at 308 velocities. Killed a number of deer out to 600 odd yards.
    300AAC and winaa like this.

I have been running the 162 eld-x for a while in a 7-08 at 2600 fps and they have worked very well on game including a couple of large stags from 10-500 yards. Lots of damage.

I have been using the 162 eld-m in my 284 win and have been shooting a lot of goats with this but no deer. they are very effective on goats out to very long range but have not shot anything closer than 300 yards with this set up.

I am currently working up a load with the 180 eld-m in a rem mag and while I have not shot any animals yet these are looking to be very accurate.
    winaa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Benj View Post
    I have been running the 162 eld-x for a while in a 7-08 at 2600 fps and they have worked very well on game including a couple of large stags from 10-500 yards. Lots of damage.

I have been using the 162 eld-m in my 284 win and have been shooting a lot of goats with this but no deer. they are very effective on goats out to very long range but have not shot anything closer than 300 yards with this set up.

I am currently working up a load with the 180 eld-m in a rem mag and while I have not shot any animals yet these are looking to be very accurate.
    Good to know thanks

In my rifle I can run the same powder charge for similar velocity. I started a couple of grains lighter and worked up from there. I have one full box of amax's and a part box I'm not going to use. Pm me If you're intested

Big or small 6.5 drops em all.
    What twist barrel are you trying the 180's in?

Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    In my rifle I can run the same powder charge for similar velocity. I started a couple of grains lighter and worked up from there. I have one full box of amax's and a part box I'm not going to use. Pm me If you're intested
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by falcon6555 View Post
    What twist barrel are you trying the 180's in?
    running it in a 1 in 9.5

you could always switch to 160 TMK's as another option.
    Eastern Wander likes this.

Eld-m = amax , use it as such. I've shot 20 odd reds and couple pigs now none of them made it....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Big or small 6.5 drops em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benj View Post
    running it in a 1 in 9.5
    Keen to hear how they go, I have a 9.5 twist and would love to run the 180's

Quote Originally Posted by falcon6555 View Post
    Keen to hear how they go, I have a 9.5 twist and would love to run the 180's
    So far very promising. Shooting 0.25 inch groups at 100yds at 2900fps.
    falcon6555 likes this.

Name:  group.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  381.4 KB
    300AAC likes this.

I have a 9.5 twist and it wont shoot 162's at all. 160Tmk's and 168 berger classics are good. some of the 150gn bullets shoot ok except the longer lrab's. What powder/cases etc are you using for the 180's? thats great accuracy you're getting and velocity. I have chrome molly barrels and they both foul fast with the hornady projectiles but from what I can gather no one seems to be having that problem with stainless. Note in the same barrels nosler/berger/sierra and even barnes don't foul. Guessing hornady are using a softer jacket in their bullets. Do have some 180's but haven't tried them because of the results with the 162's etc.