Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 7mm ELD-X in a SAUM, what's another projectile option?

7mm ELD-X in a SAUM, what's another projectile option?

Hey team,

I'm currently using 162 ELD-X in my 7mm saum, 2960FPS with RL26. Been happy with these, no reason to change at this stage.

I'm often targeting bull tahr, don't care for any meat recovery, just absolute bone breaking killing effectiveness if you catch my drift. These animals are tough to put down.
    I'm curious if there's another projectile to consider?

Animals I take are typically between 150m - 500m. Haven't been in the position to shoot further.

Cheers
    Padox likes this.

GWH
    Im still using 162 Amaxs in my 7Saum at 3,050. They absolutely smash big bodied Reds. Huge damage at your max range and beyond.

I shot two reds over the weekend at around 350 yards, both high shoulder shots, neither of them took a step. The bullet expands rapidly and imparts huge damage and shock up into the spine and CNS, resulting in instant drops in their tracks. If i do my bit right and hit my aiming point, nearly all the deer I've shot recently just poleaxe on the spot.

The 162 Eldm would be closer in construction to my old Amaxs, where as the eldx is slightly heavier in construction i believe.

168gr Berger hunting would also work well.
    Last edited by GWH; 30-06-2021 at 12:08 PM.
    keengunNic, superdiver and hotsoup like this.

ELDX are great if mainly Bull Thar especially as you are pushing them quite quick. Worth looking around but I’d stick with them
    Rees likes this.

I have heard great things about Berger Classic hunters but have not tried them myself.

160 TMK are very good.
    Warm Barrels!

above options all good in my experience or reds, for bull tahr, given you want to anchor them with shot thru both shoulders then a bonded projectile like 160 Accubond or 150 Swift Scirrocco or 150 IB would all work well at ranges you've mentioned.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

140accubond? 160fusion?
    Not great at range but am sure if you stoked the shit out of them they would be savage at 500m.

Caretaker
    The saum often has mag length restrictions which restrict velocity

The 150g Nosler Ballistic Tip with its stubby ogive and reasonable BC can restore previously lost powder capacity when loaded long.

The extra velocity gained and it’s solid copper boat tail is very useful on stubborn heavy game animals.

Don’t forget Nosler are listing a 160g Ballistic Tip -which would suit NZ game animals.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

160 tmk is ment to be the closest thing to the original amax so iv read of late . Iv had the eldx fail on me lots iv no love left for them . The amax was an amazing pill for me killed absolutely everything . I find bergers gold for wrecking big tough animals 168 classic hunter or the vld with the better bc

interesting reading replies...no one has yet suggested old school projectiles...something bog standard like hornady interlocts....or partitions....pretty sure both have been knocking big hairy goaty things off their perches in lofty heights since long before SAUMs were invented and will probably still be doing so long after the shine has faded.....

I have just started loading 165gr Sierra Game changers in my Saum and very pleased with accuracy. They have a much heavier jacket than the original game king or a match bullet. Have not used them on game yet but a search of the forum finds some good discussion and comments from people who have got out and actually shot game with them.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    I have just started loading 165gr Sierra Game changers in my Saum and very pleased with accuracy. They have a much heavier jacket than the original game king or a match bullet. Have not used them on game yet but a search of the forum finds some good discussion and comments from people who have got out and actually shot game with them.
    Let us know how you get on with them as far as terminal performance goes at distance, sounds like theyre a pretty tough projectile, i know guys that have stopped using the 6.5mm Game Changer in 6.5 PRC's for this reason, they just werent frangible enough. Hopefully, the 7mm version is different.

Im down to my last 325 162gr Amax's so will have to find a new freedom seed to use at some point. It'll be a sad day as the Amax's just work so so well.
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Let us know how you get on with them as far as terminal performance goes at distance, sounds like theyre a pretty tough projectile, i know guys that have stopped using the 6.5mm Game Changer in 6.5 PRC's for this reason, they just werent frangible enough. Hopefully, the 7mm version is different.

Im down to my last 325 162gr Amax's so will have to find a new freedom seed to use at some point. It'll be a sad day as the Amax's just work so so well.
    160tmk

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post

LOL - from your video I reckon you have your Saum very well set up and dialed in so that means by the time you run out of AMax's you have shot an absolute shit load of deer !!!
    GWH likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    interesting reading replies...no one has yet suggested old school projectiles...something bog standard like hornady interlocts....or partitions....pretty sure both have been knocking big hairy goaty things off their perches in lofty heights since long before SAUMs were invented and will probably still be doing so long after the shine has faded.....
    I might be doing something wrong here, am mostly using ordinary old Speer Hotcors and similar, out of ordinary old geriatric .243 and .308 and stuff just keeps on falling over, oh well, in my day we walked to school barefoot through the snow and ate barbed wire for lunch, why change now
    Micky Duck likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    LOL - from your video I reckon you have your Saum very well set up and dialed in so that means by the time you run out of AMax's you have shot an absolute shit load of deer !!!
    Haha, i sacrificed two more Amaxs last weekend, but got two deer, both of them dropped on the spot. Both quite close thou at 320 and 345 yards.
    chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.