Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By cameronjackwhite

Thread: 7mm Rem mag

7mm Rem mag

Has anyone comes across this issue before.
    So loaded brand new Norma brass with Federal 215 primers and they don't seat flush they sit proud.
    Which when you chamber the round the bolt is super hard to close.
    Priming is done with a Lyman hand tool I use these primers in plenty of other brand cases with no problems.
    Attached is a picture of the case head.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    Seen it a zillion times

The primer pocket is tight and you need to use more pressure on your primer seating tool to seat the primers deeper where they should be

New Norma brass was bad for tight primer pockets about a year ago

A light coat of Redding sizing wax on the walls of the primer pocket with a cotton bud allows you to seat the primers to their proper depth with less effort

The problem lessens with each successive firing
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Thanks I'll give it a try as the primer is seated to it's max with my hand tool but maybe a bit of lube will help

Yep, Norma brass often has very tight primer pockets - ream them with pocket cutter tool before use & they're fine.

Is it the 1st time you've used this caliber in the Lyman primer tool? Lyman swapped out my hornady shell holders for some of theirs due to not seating deep enough. Either that or you can extend the arm that seats the primer
    gadgetman likes this.

Greetings 25/08 IMP,
    Had the same problem with Remington 7 mm SAUM cases a while back. Didn't seat fully using my Lee hand primer. I wound up seating them with the Lee tool and then finishing them on the press. They were still barely flush so the pockets must be tight. Chainsaw's suggestion of a primer pocket uniformer is a good one. I should get one myself. Please do not put any lubricant in the primer pocket. It is a good way to kill the primer. Possibly not all the time or even that often but from time to time one wont go off. We all know when that is likely to happen.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Likely a slight radius at the bottom of the primer pocket. Have you run a primer pocket unifying tool over them as suggested by Chainsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    Is it the 1st time you've used this caliber in the Lyman primer tool? Lyman swapped out my hornady shell holders for some of theirs due to not seating deep enough. Either that or you can extend the arm that seats the primer
    Yeah first time loading this Cal
    I wondered about extending the arm but might have to get a pocket cleaner/ cutter as I should have one.

I had the same thing on some new Norma 300wsm brass recently....a spin with a primer pocket cutter and all sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    I had this issue swapping from the Lee to the Lyman hand primer. Needed a different holder to allow enough travel to completely seat.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I had the same problem with my Lyman hand primer. Issue was not using Lyman shell holders as they are thinner and allow the press to push the primer right into the pocket as intended. I was using hornady shell holders that are thicker and were restricting the range of motion. They Lyman tool only has limited travel so you can’t over seat the primers, it just runs out of travel in your hand. Failing that, I would gives the pockets a small ream.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    I had the same problem with my Lyman hand primer. Issue was not using Lyman shell holders as they are thinner and allow the press to push the primer right into the pocket as intended. I was using hornady shell holders that are thicker and were restricting the range of motion. They Lyman tool only has limited travel so you can’t over seat the primers, it just runs out of travel in your hand. Failing that, I would gives the pockets a small ream.
    Thanks guys I've just ordered primer pocket cleaner tools as my shell holders are alsorts of brands

Yip, I always uniform the primer pockets and didn’t have this problem with my 7 RM Norma cases.

I guess I'm to used to using Laupa brass and never had that issue.