Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Tim Dicko
  • 1 Post By duckdog
  • 2 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 1 Post By Dermastor
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 2 Post By Dermastor
  • 4 Post By Dermastor
  • 2 Post By Shearer

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag with Sierra 168gr

7mm Rem Mag with Sierra 168gr

Hi guys I am finally starting load work for my sort of new 7mm Rem Mag. I am going to use the Sierra 168gr Matchking which the throat has been cut for. I specifically chose this bullet as it is not a VLD with the sensitivity to loaded length that they can suffer from. I want to use either AR2217 (H1000) or AR2225 (Retumbo) Both these powders are temperature tolerant and readily available. I do not have a new Sierra reloading book and the ADI site does not include data for the 168gr Sierra. Is there anyone out there that could send me the min and max charges for this cartridge.

Name:  DSC00752.JPG
Views: 1732
Size:  214.3 KB

Thanks a lot Jeremy

71-72gr 2217 usually works well with the 162 amax and 168 Berger.
    7mmsaum likes this.

im shooting 162 amaxs at maximum 73.5 grains 2225 powder. no pressure signs. tikka 7mm rem mag
    7mmsaum and PERRISCICABA like this.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...dition_WEB.pdf
    try page 142 give some indication.

Hi Jeremy,
    7mm Rem Mag/168gr SMK data from the Sierra Manual
    H1000
    min 60.5 grs @ 2600fps
    max 68.3grs @ 2900fps

Retumbo
    min 69grs @ 2900fps
    max 71.1grs @ 3000fps

PM me your email address and I'll scan the page and send it to you.
    Shearer likes this.

Thanks Duckdog that's great PM sent
    All the best

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    71-72gr 2217 usually works well with the 162 amax and 168 Berger.
    +1 its the top secret brew ( that everyone knows)
    7mmsaum and Shootm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    im shooting 162 amaxs at maximum 73.5 grains 2225 powder. no pressure signs. tikka 7mm rem mag
    Plus 1 for this recipe, i use the same and sometimes a bit more a bit less also works. In extreme temperatures .2 or .3 less keep the accuracy and when very cold .3-.5 more will keep consistent too.

My load was developed with an average temperature of 15degrees Celsius at mag length.

Name:  IMG_5519.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  969.7 KB

ADI info for 168gn projectiles…

168GR PROJECTILES ADI LOAD DATA.pdf
    7mmsaum and Tim Dicko like this.

Thanks guys for your info. My concern is that although there maybe no signs of excess pressure many of the loads recommended do exceed either the powder or bullet manufacturers maximum. Although this will not result in a firearm failure it will most definitely result in short case life and increased barrel wear. Yes I know you think I am being overly dramatic. I am certainly not having a go at any one. I have been reloading for over 30yrs and in that time I have pushed the envelope at times myself. It is important that we keep the tiger in the cage when it comes to powder charges. Trying to get that extra 150fps will take its toll on gear and the animal will not be able to feel the difference. I will keep you updated on how things go.
    All the best
    Jeremy
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    Thanks guys for your info. My concern is that although there maybe no signs of excess pressure many of the loads recommended do exceed either the powder or bullet manufacturers maximum. Although this will not result in a firearm failure it will most definitely result in short case life and increased barrel wear. Yes I know you think I am being overly dramatic. I am certainly not having a go at any one. I have been reloading for over 30yrs and in that time I have pushed the envelope at times myself. It is important that we keep the tiger in the cage when it comes to powder charges. Trying to get that extra 150fps will take its toll on gear and the animal will not be able to feel the difference. I will keep you updated on how things go.
    All the best
    Jeremy
    30 years is a good start Jeremy -this forum will allow you to further understand that Tiger in the brass cage.

Almost without exception the loads posted above are loaded longer than Saami spec for overall length, the longer the ammo the further out of the brass case the projectile, the further out the projectile the more you increase powder capacity and drop ignition primary/internal ballistic pressure, this allows you to then add more powder and regain lost pressure/velocity.

Official Reloading books rely/presume/instruct ammo to be loaded at Saami length with the smaller powder volume that creates, hunters keen on terminal ballistics capable of reliable ethical kills adjust ammo length for best accuracy, often in long throated Sako/Tikka/custom rifles that also allow you to use brass selected for its largest powder capacity.

Hence the elevated figures you strike from time to time, it's important to understand this then no one panics when everyones Tigers seem to be slightly different in size.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

@7mmsaum thanks mate the 7mm Mag always seems to have a huge inconsistency between loading info available. It is one of the most inconsistent rounds when it comes to chamber dimensions as well. This rifle with the factor barrel always showed low velocities for the load always coppered the barrel very badly but with a good hand load shot very accurately with 0.25" 5 shot groups common. I am up at the AKL NZDA range on Sunday and will make a start.
    7mmsaum and Tim Dicko like this.

Caretaker
    @7mmsaum thanks mate the 7mm Mag always seems to have a huge inconsistency between loading info available. It is one of the most inconsistent rounds when it comes to chamber dimensions as well. This rifle with the factor barrel always showed low velocities for the load always coppered the barrel very badly but with a good hand load shot very accurately with 0.25" 5 shot groups common. I am up at the AKL NZDA range on Sunday and will make a start.
    @Dermastor how did you get on ? - hope it all went well
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Name:  P1020523.JPG
Views: 1080
Size:  860.8 KB

Sorry guys should have updated this. Maybe I did on another thread anyway after a few trips to the range and several forks in the road mainly with the slippery coated bullets not producing enough velocity I got things sorted. With 73grs of AR2225 making 2975fps groups have settled at just under 1/2". So I am happy. Been out to the Akarana City range and shot it out to 800yrd to get some DOPE. More practice or should I say barrel wear is required before I head down to the NZ Mountain Challenge in March. I am sure I will be the weak link in the whole setup but that's ok.
    7mmsaum, Shootm, Gibo and 1 others like this.

I would be happy with that group.
    Shootm and Gibo like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Attachment 63508

Sorry guys should have updated this. Maybe I did on another thread anyway after a few trips to the range and several forks in the road mainly with the slippery coated bullets not producing enough velocity I got things sorted. With 73grs of AR2225 making 2975fps groups have settled at just under 1/2". So I am happy. Been out to the Akarana City range and shot it out to 800yrd to get some DOPE. More practice or should I say barrel wear is required before I head down to the NZ Mountain Challenge in March. I am sure I will be the weak link in the whole setup but that's ok.

See you at the challenge @Dermastor!