Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag, where do I start?

7mm Rem Mag, where do I start?

Hi team, recently picked up a rifle built in 7mm Rem Mag, I had no intentions of buying a new rifle but this thing came up and the price was right so here I am....
    I have some dies on the way and I have a pack of federal blue box 150gr factory ammunition I might have to launch at some steel so I can use the brass (unless someone wants to swap me 40-50 brass for the factory rounds?)
    I want to work up a load for it to use on Tahr at 400+ and long range steel, I want to be launching at least 160gr of lead into the air as my 270 takes care of anything lighter than that anyhow.
    Powders I currently have are 2208, 2209, 2213sc, W760, W780, N560 but I can pick up something different if need be, im guessing i will need "magnum" primers also?
    Im more interested in accuracy and energy at 800yards than speed so im interested to hear any suggestions on projectile choice and loads etc... Seems the 162 Amax is pretty popular? (Allthough I also here Amax are being phased out...)
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

162 amax - AR 2217 - Fed Mag primers - job done. I'm using hornady brass in mine and its doing well.
    7mmsaum, BRADS, Dr. Watson and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Hi team, recently picked up a rifle built in 7mm Rem Mag, I had no intentions of buying a new rifle but this thing came up and the price was right so here I am....
    I have some dies on the way and I have a pack of federal blue box 150gr factory ammunition I might have to launch at some steel so I can use the brass (unless someone wants to swap me 40-50 brass for the factory rounds?)
    I want to work up a load for it to use on Tahr at 400+ and long range steel, I want to be launching at least 160gr of lead into the air as my 270 takes care of anything lighter than that anyhow.
    Powders I currently have are 2208, 2209, 2213sc, W760, W780, N560 but I can pick up something different if need be, im guessing i will need "magnum" primers also?
    Im more interested in accuracy and energy at 800yards than speed so im interested to hear any suggestions on projectile choice and loads etc... Seems the 162 Amax is pretty popular? (Allthough I also here Amax are being phased out...)
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Snap!

I'm hanging out for the arrival of the Sierra Tipped MatchKings to arrive in 160gn. Might be a while as they were only released in the states last month. So I've just gone for some GameKings as a fill in. Still need to get some dies.

Had to get it as the other shits and giggles rifle didn't happen and @Toby had been hounding me to get something a bit bigger.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

As Per Gibo - But I went with IMR 7828 in mine and have been using federal brass like your self and some Norma. The Norma is streets ahead as the federal is much softer and thicker it seems to me.

When using The Federals after first shot from the box they are as dirty as hell, make sure you giv'em to someone for a good ultrasound clean and tumble - (Thanks Mike S!) I also found it useful to buy a Lyman large pocket primer cleaner to to make sure the new primers seat nicely in the pockets and flat with the bases. Was using Winchester magnum primers but changed to Federal match magnum primers after a few people had had issues with them causing issues with their bolt face. Supposedly there wasa faulty batch out there but I never did get eh lot numbers.

My loads I usually start at mid range and go up in .4 or .5 increments until you find a sweet spot based then do jumps of .2 to nail it. For me it was 63.3gr I think??? tested at 200m as 100m can have some diferences further out particularly with longer range and the accuracy can be different for larger calibres - so you need to check it at distance too.

I also use a 140gr Barnes TSX in Norma brass for close stuff and this has the same POI as my 162 Amax's almost exactly... So Barnes first in the Mag for a close up popped out in front of you shot, and Amax for distance shots. Mainly due to there being stories of the Amax blowing up on short distance targets around the place (not that I've experienced this myself).

Good luck it's a great round to play with...

I'm using 64.5gr of 2213sc behind 162 amax in my 7mmRemMag getting 2900fps....this is an accuracy load in this rifle.....I also use the same powder in my 284

Get some 2217 & 2225, Fed 215 Magnum primers & 162 Amax or SST if you are a bit windy about Amaxes performance on game.

in my practical the 180 only start to out preform the amaxs at 900ish. so unless you plan to shoot further you might as well stick with a lighter bullet you can drive faster.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    in my practical the 180 only start to out preform the amaxs at 900ish. so unless you plan to shoot further you might as well stick with a lighter bullet you can drive faster.
    I'll move to 7mm practical when I re barrel my 7mm rem mag and enjoy a heavier #5 contour and new bottom metal at the same time. It's my natural evolution for this rifle as its so good accuracy wise and already blueprinted. But you'll have lots of fun with it as a 7 rem mag first...

Enjoy I am!
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    The problem with the 180s is terminal performance can be pretty average at range compared to the 162 Amax, not an issue for targets or steel.

anyone tried the 190's yet?

Like KG I'd add 2225 as its what I'm currently using. It's accurate and 2900. Plenty of room to move also. If using at ranges 400+the amax is suitable. There are plenty about.
    Dan M

Im using 168 bergers with 2225 at 3000fps , 2225 was more accurate than 2217 in my t3 . works well ��

DAF
    Mine likes 2225 with the 162 A-max, works real well
    7mmsaum likes this.
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

73grains of 2225 with the 162 amax, then go hunting
    7mmsaum and Danny like this.

Any one used the 168 or 175 LRAB's? Really like the 150's in my 270