Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: 7mm screamer

7mm screamer

gday guys, does anyone on here know anything about load data, recipies etc for a 7mm 338 norma mag imp?

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Try doing a search on here and see what comes up.
    Otherwise I think tuiman has had a play with one.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

or search 284 Jazz pretty much the same thing. Should be a bit of info on Longrangehunting.com Duley's version is 7mm Fatmax.

hahaha its a bit like that really, just wandering if theres anyone using this calibre and what they are running

yea same as the fatmax

I was using 180gr Berger Hybrid Match projectiles in my 7RUM (pretty much same velocity) and found them a bit hard. Killed the animal but didn't seem to drop them on the spot like the 168 bergers in my 7 rem mag.

yea im currently using 180 bergers at 3200 ish and they seem to kill very good.

VLD's

I do realise everything you just said and its not what i asked for. Also i realise you dont like wildcats and thats cool with me matey, but I was really just asking for other peoples loadings not the rubbish you have just blabbled on about. Thanks anyway

I have a 300 Norma mag so you're parent case and use adi 2225

Cheers Cam,

I was using US869 in my 7RUM about 100gr with the 180 berger, you will be about there somewhere as the case capacity is pretty much identical. ADI 2225 will give similar results, but more pressure and some say the tubular grains are harder on the barrel then the poppy seed size 869 granules.

Weapon was born
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ead.php?t=7055

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pongo12 View Post
    gday guys, does anyone on here know anything about load data, recipies etc for a 7mm 338 norma mag imp?
    Afternoon Pongo,

Knowing a little bit of the firearms history would be helpful to us as different 7mm norma mag "imp" builders push their reamers different depths.

The "gunsmith" that built it has a moral obligation to provide at least basic reloading info for its new owner, and if you are not its first owner then that data will/should be on file.

Its not a chambering for the feint hearted, pressure builds extremely quickly, powder bridging can be an issue with some powder choices as can a few other things

A rebarrel to 30cal solves a few problems and going 338 solves all of them.

Are you considering the chambering or have you purchased a rifle in this chambering ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

If abe built it he would be able to supply you
    All load data?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    There are a range of options to chose from in the funny named chambering market. The all pretty much fire the same projectiles at roughly the same speeds as they are all savagely over bore and chambered in the same guns with the same limits on practical barrel length. You can only generate so much pressure, so the extra case capacity is mostly just to generate recoil, throat erosion and marketing hype.

Its quite possible to do your own funny named round.

Take any large case from the last hundred years or so. There are hundreds and the only thing that varies is the brass cost and or rarity and the number of forming steps.

Pretty much all of them have been necked down to pretty much every caliber by someone at some point, which is why the funny name is so important. Got to have a point of difference.

Get some custom dies machined to your specifications. Done this myself, piece of piss, though mine was cheap as I just wanted a reamer. You will need reamer and a huge box of forming dies. Now sit down and go through 7 sizing steps per case, with trimming and annealing to get to 7mm. If you still like shooting at this point, load the rounds.
    With a loaded round, chronograph you new old chambering, then do load development, then re-barrel your rifle.

Give yourself a pat on the back for a achieving 200ft/sec faster and 2000 rounds less barrel life than a round ending with a boring word like Norma, Remington, Lapua or Winchester etc but sounding way way cooler because you called it Screamer or Jet Pack or Ultra Lazer Beam. Possibly go with Super Eagle Dynamite, Turbo Rocket Ship or Ultra Awesome Extreme. If you get stuck, as a little kid to help chose cool words.

Apologies to everyone. I'm having a cynical day. I will go play with my chainsaw till I feel better.
    Post of the year for me....fkn gold

" if you get stuck for a name ask a little kid "

B
    Spanners, Beaker and Tommy like this.